MX clothing

DanM

Hi there, 

MX jerseys are similar to trials jerseys but the trousers are quite a bit different. They will let you move around on the bike easily which is what you should be doing if you are riding a trials bike correctly. 

I know people who wear MX trousers or pants on trials bikes but to me they are too restrictive, will make you sweat a lot and just look wrong. I bought nearly new Hebo trials shirt and pants off ebay for £50 so you can find cheap kit. You might be able to buy MX kit cheaper but will regret it after your first proper practice or trial. 

Wulf Sport sell trials kit, it's not the most stylish but is reasonably priced, failing that second hand. Lastly do yourself a favour and get a decent helmet as at some point you will part company with your bike. I have Jitsie and Airoh helmets, both very comfortable to wear and light. 

Buy the best (proper trials) kit you can afford and you will enjoy the sport a lot more. Have fun and good luck! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with scatman, I used a bit of MX gear at the start because that is what I had for trail riding but it wasn't long before I could see the benefit of trials gear.  The best 2 pics of trials gear i got have been good trials boots and helmet.  

Note on helmet shape, I have an Airoh and a Hebo and both are great, the Airoh and Hebo in my opinion both have an intermediate oval shape and are the best trials helmet for the oval heads.  Wulf Sport is very round, and the Jitsie I tried on was on the round side but not as round as the Wulf Sport.  

Hope you enjoy trials.  Its the best sport ever in my opinion!  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends if you want to wear knee protection. Out of the wrapper, trials trousers will have more padding than mx trousers, but if you're the kinda guy who wants to wear plastic or any form of knee pads as an extra then you will have to go mx, as there's no real room under trials trousers.

• Thanks 1

I have MX Boots and Pants, low key. plain black..The boots take a bit of breaking in, I like the protection they give, ive had multiple busted feet and ankles sensitive there. Each to there own, but for me nowt wrong with MX boots. Pants....^^^^ i agree with him.

• Like 1

The first go I had on a trials bike was with my enduro gear, MX pants with Knee guards and Alpine stars T8 boots. 

The Tech8 boots were far too restrictive, I still use MX pants, knee guards, Trials boots and an Airoh helmet.  

• Thanks 1

Forgot to mention on my MX Boots i slacken off the second clamp (second one upwards that is) I find that fine for me personally and i have tons of flexibility in my brand of boots, But this is definitly a question of what works for one isnt going to be suitable for another. personal thing.

• 3 months later...

On 10/27/2019 at 4:44 PM, charlie chitlins said:

Don't MX boots have a smooth sole?

That wouldn't work for me.

I have O'Neal Rider boots, which are an MX/Enduro crossover boot - super stiff but with a lots of grip on the sole.  They're very good for the money, too :)

9 hours ago, turbofurball said:

I have O'Neal Rider boots, which are an MX/Enduro crossover boot - super stiff but with a lots of grip on the sole.  They're very good for the money, too :)

I have a pair of Thor Blitz "ATV" boots.

Super stiff, very grippy treaded sole.

Too much step at the heel, but a razor knife solves that.

IIRC, they were MUCH cheaper than trials boots.

They also seem quite small for the size on the tag.

My feet are wide with a high instep. These should be a size too big for me, but are very tight.

Anybody who buys should try first.

I'll try them one of these days (they are my son's, who no longer rides and are almost new).

I'm a crappy rider and may prefer the extra protection.

Edited by charlie chitlins