Scorpa 300 setup for fat old newbie

Mxnut494

Gents

tomorrow I pick up a like new 2015 Scorpa 300 twenty! Although I’ve ridden mx bikes for 41 years, I am brand new to the trials scene. From what I’ve read, most guys are adding a flywheel weight to tame power. I’m more than likely going to do that. My real question is suspension setup. I know trials bikes are suppose to be soft, but I’m a big boy (6’2”@250# soaking wet). Any good resources out there for proper spring rates for a out of shape over-weight new trials rider?

since I’m completely clueless, pointers of any kind are appreciated.

thanks

trevor 

Hi MXnut, my son's got a 16 300 and he's as heavy as you the bikes stock . I feel if you're just setting out just leave it alone for the time being, some of our bigger guys (It's Scorpa city here) fit heavier springs on the rear.

Personally I don't think it works without altering the front ,it feels like you're too far forward, that's just an opinion.

There's bikes have loads of grunt , would run a weight because it suits my style, it'll go lower and I don't need to clutch all the time.

As I said, as a new guy just spend some time getting the feel of the bike first, don't get exited it's not like MX where suspension is a big issue, it's more a personal preference.

Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, gasserguy said:

300 is 2 much. 250 max........

My son calls that "retrospective advice"! I'm sure you are right about the size of engine (my first bike was a 270 and probably too powerful even though it is old and a bit worn out), but like me when I started, this guy has already paid his money and is probably going to manage fine as he is an experienced rider albeit in a different sport . My next bike will be smaller and newer or possibly a 4 stroke, but I have gained some knowledge and listened to lots of good advice on here, so I have that to build on when I make a choice. I always feel a bit sorry for new members who after their very first post, get a negative and dismissive comment, when a bit of wisdom and advice on how to get going were being asked for. Just my opinion and no offence meant. My advice, Trevor, is to fit a flywheel if you can get one, and learn some good throttle/clutch control on some easy ground (almost tickover revs) - you should find it pulls in any gear and with quite low revs. I'm sure it will take off when you open it up though! Happy riding.

• Like 1

Using a 300 Scorpa on the easy routes is a bit like using a Dodge Charger to go shopping. Ok, a bit over the top, but in a good way.  Just don't let it boss you about!  Big engine bikes (around the 300cc mark) are more tiring so pace yourself when in a competition. The fitting back of the air filter is a right pain. But they are a great bike, lots of go. 

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The 300 has some snap but no where near to my 86’ KX500. That thing was a beast and if used 1st gear for anything other than just getting it to start moving, it would throw you to the ground with a “I told you not to do that!”

The 300 could definitely use a flywheel weight for my riding “style” (I use that word loosely) so I’ve got one of those coming.

my first trials event is July 7th so that gives me about a week to practice. It will undoubtedly be ugly, but I can’t wait! 

4 hours ago, Mxnut494 said:

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. The 300 has some snap but no where near to my 86’ KX500. That thing was a beast and if used 1st gear for anything other than just getting it to start moving, it would throw you to the ground with a “I told you not to do that!”

The 300 could definitely use a flywheel weight for my riding “style” (I use that word loosely) so I’ve got one of those coming.

my first trials event is July 7th so that gives me about a week to practice. It will undoubtedly be ugly, but I can’t wait! 

Once you get in to the confines of a "proper" section you may find the bike seems somewhat snappier than you currently think?.  Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1