Dalesman upgrades

dirtydalesman

Hi all, this is my early Dalesman. My best Google image searching has not found another with the same standard forks and the rear brake/peg arrangement that mine has. Is it just a really early one? 

Can anyone recommend any upgrades? Front forks are very stiff with little travel, which probably isn't ideal. 

Don't want to do anything to loose its charm, but could do with it being a bit less hard work.

IMG_20190624_164139.jpg

Footpegs look a bit slippery ! I would think a fabricated bracket with modern mounts to enable grippy, foldable footpegs would be a good mod. Those pegs are probably illegal as far as modern trials are concerned ( ACU rules )

Perhaps fit the pegs slightly further back and lower, together with a set of bars with a higher lift would make the 'cockpit' feel less cramped and the bike would then become more manoeuvreable.

Yes, they are somewhat slippery! Went with MX boots on the one trial I have done so far in case one tried to attack me! Agreed they are first on the list. I have to work out a new brake lever pivot arrangement at the same time, as that goes with the peg.

I was thinking the bars look a bit flat. Not sure if that's original or not. There is another set still in the barn the bike was resting in for 40 years. I will have a look.

I'd be wary of relying on 40 year old handlebars, I did exactly that with my Cota 247 and they snapped first trial out.

My first bike was a Dalesman. I think they might well be Puch forks on your model. A good strip down, or even just flushing out and filling with correct oil should improve things but of ccourse they're pretty limited as trials forks by their design.

To help to complete the original look, you could make up a triangular alloy side panel for the right side. This was attached with self tapping screws into small holes drilled in the frame tubes.

I will have a hunt around for something more modern in that case. 

I have changed the oil, though as all the Puch manual said was "fork oil" I think the stuff I got from Halfords was probably a bit thick, but will serve to flush them in any case. 

I did wonder if it should have a cover, as others seem to, but there are no signs of any holes for one. 

Iv'e not seen another with the same exhaust or air filter either. 

You don't happen to know where I can find the frame number do you? 

Original V5 is long since lost, so before I make any changes from original, I probably need to go down the age related plate route, but I need to find the frame number first!

The Dalesman is what it is, a product of the difficulties of the time, and it's good to see a piece of history in use; I did wonder if any would surface in trials.  However, most folk found there was only one really worthwhile upgrade.......... a Bultaco.

• Like 1

Yes, It's been in the family a long time, and I must say nobody had much complementary to say about it! However, I am never going to be a good enough rider to worry about the bikes capabilities, it's certainly still better than I am!

I know it's never going to be super competitive, I am just looking to do a few subtle modifications to improve things a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirtydalesman said:

I will have a hunt around for something more modern in that case. 

I have changed the oil, though as all the Puch manual said was "fork oil" I think the stuff I got from Halfords was probably a bit thick, but will serve to flush them in any case. 

I did wonder if it should have a cover, as others seem to, but there are no signs of any holes for one. 

Iv'e not seen another with the same exhaust or air filter either. 

If you don't fancy drilling the frame, some strips of self adhesive Velcro on the tubes and the inner surface of a side panel should be up to the job.

Regarding unusual fitments, that kick start looks like no other that I've seen, but is no doubt quite serviceable.

Frame number on headstock?

Edited by cleanorbust

2 hours ago, dirtydalesman said:

Yes, It's been in the family a long time, and I must say nobody had much complementary to say about it! However, I am never going to be a good enough rider to worry about the bikes capabilities, it's certainly still better than I am!

I know it's never going to be super competitive, I am just looking to do a few subtle modifications to improve things a little.

Just make it safe to ride ie footpegs etc then ride it as it is it looks a Great little bike. As for front forks if they are too soft try thicker oil & some pre loaders on top of springs just a simple bit of tubing of the correct size will suffice.

2 hours ago, cleanorbust said:

If you don't fancy drilling the frame, some strips of self adhesive Velcro on the tubes and the inner surface of a side panel should be up to the job.

Regarding unusual fitments, that kick start looks like no other that I've seen, but is no doubt quite serviceable.

Frame number on headstock?

I will make something up and see how it looks.

Yes, the kick start is non original, from the standard Puch M125. Original seems to have disappeared some point in the 40 years it spent in the barn! Its right in the way, so a proper folding one is on the to do list. 

Not seen a number there. Should have paid more attention when I was painting it.