2014 250 TRi won't start

oaktrials

Been troubleshooting a no start condition on my 2014 Ossa 250, found a dead aaa battery in easy start box, found broken wires in easy start, after changing battery it started first kick for a couple of days, loaded up went to ride finally got it to start several kicks, ran great good power, next day would not start found that 10 volts out of easy start not getting to control module, found broken red and black wires, fixed breaks still not starting reliably, started using Konrads control writeup and wiring diagram is conduct more detailed testing, I see 9.5 volts on the red wire at rectifier when magnetic lanyard button released, stays for about 40 seconds.  Kick bike during that time, does not even sound like it is firing.  If I put some gas on a rag and insert in air intake it will start and run and idle perfectly.  I have no computer access to control system.  Based on study of Konrads document seems like I need to figure out a way to read TPS wiper voltage at idle, please help with other suggestions.  Bummed out in Utah, I am going to buy a Beta with a carburetor.    

27 minutes ago, oaktrials said:

If I put some gas on a rag and insert in air intake it will start and run and idle perfectly.

So it's not a spark problem.  That leaves fuel.

Everybody that owns an EFI OSSA really needs to have K-Scan! 

If you wire the connector described in this document:

you can supply +12V via an external battery.  You should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds each time you connect the battery.  Start there -- no computer or software needed.

Edited by konrad

I tried for months to get a computer setup from Adrian at Lewisport, should have tried other options to obtain that setup I guess.  Will look into building a cable to verify fuel pump, may have to bug you again, 

thanks 

I did have the connector off the ecu once, sent the controller back to Adrian to lower fuel trim, bike ran much better after that.  I will end up taking a look at ecu connector just to be sure, but the bike runs great once it starts.  

just to clarify your suggestion, if I apply 12 volts via a battery of correct polarity to the diagnostic plug black - and red + wires I should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, does it do this short run until it reaches the 50 psig and then shut off.  Guess a battery charger is too dirty of a DC output.   

10 minutes ago, oaktrials said:

just to clarify your suggestion, if I apply 12 volts via a battery of correct polarity to the diagnostic plug black - and red + wires I should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, does it do this short run until it reaches the 50 psig and then shut off.  Guess a battery charger is too dirty of a DC output.   

I sent you a PM, give me a call.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve found the OSSA injection to work really well.

But I also fit a tiny LiPo battery to fire up the fuel pump and wake it up.  The factory Easy Start worked pretty well (if the rechargeable battery was replaced/recharged every so often)- but the one I fit also was a quick and dirty diagnostic too, plus if you run out of fuel it would prime it right away.