Too smoky!

dirtydalesman

So the 330 has always been smokey as long as I remember, but in the past I've just put it down to my dad using old oil

This time I've had the carb apart, given it all a bit of a birthday and this is it running on the same fuel that's in the Dalesman. Was hoping to use it in a trial tomorrow but I don't think it's too happy :(

Can't get video to upload, so have done a screenshot of it.

Screenshot_20190629_123413_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

Nothing wrong with that, just means your cylinder is well lubricated. (or bad rings)  Try out that strawberry scented 2t oil, you would be like the Pied Piper with everyone following you around the loop.

Too bad you cant get reduced entry fees for providing mosquito control at the event.

Edited by slicktop
sp
  • Confused 1

I'll second b40rt's comment. I would be checking if the primary drive oil level is going down. It looks suspiciously like smoke from burning transmission oil to me. Two stroke oil-induced smoke usually has more of a blue colour. If the oil level is going down, the prime suspect would be the crank seal on the primary drive side. It should smell wrong too if it is transmission oil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, 25:1. Its hard to say really, it doesn't smell out of the ordinary. Gear oil level looks reasonably normal, but as it's fill to quantity it's difficult to tell. Clutch oil seemed a bit low though, guess that's a prime candidate, and years 10w30 as apposed the ep90, so probably wouldn't smell too odd.

I have no idea what a Dalesman is, but 25:1 seems like a lot of oil for any trials bike.

It might take a while for the motor to clean itself out even with no gearbox oil being sucked in.

You can test for a gearbox-side crank seal failure by replacing the transmission breather hose with several feet of clear plastic tubing and then submerging the free end in a jar of water. When you blip the throttle, a bad seal is indicated by bubbles in the jar, or water being sucked towards the transmission.

It also might just be very, very rich.

1 hour ago, dirtydalesman said:

I don't have a transmission breather tube unfortunately, so can't try that.

Interesting.  Is the transmission not vented at all?  Maybe that's part of the problem?   When the air/oil in the transmission expands, that can't make life easy for the crank seal.

3 hours ago, konrad said:

Interesting.  Is the transmission not vented at all?  Maybe that's part of the problem?   When the air/oil in the transmission expands, that can't make life easy for the crank seal.

There's usually a pinhole for expansion / contraction.

Are you sure it is oil smoke...?   Looks a lot like water vapour to me, either from wash water getting into the exhaust padding, or you not running it at max for over an hour (which is the norm for trials bikes.).

You could try holding an ice cold can of beer in the vapour, does water condense on the can..?

Definitely oil unfortunately. Attempted a trial on it at the weekend, as the clutch cable snapped on the dalesman, but the plug oiled up, so wouldn't start every time I stopped. Gave up after a couple of sections. Engine strip time I think.

IMG_20190630_110721.jpg

What oil are you using? With modern 2 stroke oils I wouldn't go past about 40:1. That black soot also looks like it might be running really rich, so I would also check the carb setup.