When will it end ??

hgas

There has always been satellite teams, to a greater or lesser extent going back to the "yellow submarine" british effort in the naughties. They come and go I guess.

Billy green has got a scorpa deal, not sure about dunlop tyres.

I think Moret was part of the deal RG had with the Mont/honda thing.

Edited by nigel dabster

On 1/30/2021 at 8:57 AM, baldilocks said:

I didnt realise RG trial had decided to leave the sport,  they were helping Billy Green, Frances Moret and Gabriel Marcelli. So where are these three going this year ?

Maybe need an 80cc class next to get to 50 entries.....

Or make the whole thing electric in 2022 . Bikes not as capable so severity will have to reduce and we would be ahead of other sports from an environmental point of view?

You have a point but I suspect it may be hard to convince an environmentalist of the benefit of an electric bike when it is being transported round the world in a van twice the size of the typical house we would provide for the elderly.  Balanced against a handful of litres used in a petrol bike at an event there would be little demonstrable benefit.

Electric bikes are a nonsense from environmental grounds, just as electric cars are.  The "benefit" is less exhaust fumes, which is great in cities but irrelevant in a rural setting.  The point about what is used to transport the bike is also correct.  I am not at all sure they are not so capable either.  The cycle parts are the  same and the motive power is different, not less.

X-Trial is very popular in other countries so perhaps the problem is not trials as such it is the way it is promoted and seen in the UK.  Mud, wet, cold, rain and old men are not the basis of a popular sport.

Edited by ChrisCH

3 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

3 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

X-Trial is very popular in other countries so perhaps the problem is not trials as such it is the way it is promoted and seen in the UK.  Mud, wet, cold, rain and old men are not the basis of a popular sport.

Mmmm, it this true, how did any of us get involved ?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:13 PM, hgas said:

Toni bou has won every indoor and outdoor title since 2007, that’s 12 years of complete domination and I just can’t see an end to it any time soon !,busto has faded since leaving Honda and the top 4 riders in nearly every trial gp are the old guard Fuji/raga/fajardo and bou , what’s people’s opinion on why new riders arn’t coming through ? I tipped miquel gelabert and Benoit vincas for great things this year but they are both having shockers and oriol noguera has been knocking on the door of the top ten for a few years but he’s given up and gone home 

Watching Jaime Busto on his new GasGas in the last two races, I would estimate, that this year could be a difficult one for Toni.

Canario

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Canario said:

Watching Jaime Busto on his new GasGas in the last two races, I would estimate, that this year could be a difficult one for Toni.

Canario

He only just won at Bordeaux Easter weekend.  I was lucky enough to go and it was a great evening's entertainment.  Poor old Toby Martyn - come on all you English go and support Toby.  Spanish 1 2 3.  I thought Toby rode really well and is shaping up to be a top three rider.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Toby's crash was alarming to watch. Apparently he has chipped two vertebrae so I suspect that will have him out of action for a while. Would it have happened if minders had been allowed in the section? Opinions?

In this long and stoney section, it would have maybe needed more than one minder or none. Difficult to estimate, but from what I have seen it was not the most difficult/dangerous part of the section. Would be interesting to hear the opinion of Toby and other riders.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It looks to me as if Toni Bou is getting more pressure than in recent years. He's still the No 1, but not by the same margin as before. In a year or two I think he will start to slip, just as is happening to Adam Raga at the moment. With those two out of the way, Jaime Busto and Gabriele Marcelli are clearly going to be dominant. At present it looks to me as though Toby Martyn and Aniol Gelabert are the contenders to join them as regular podium sitters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

It looks to me as if Toni Bou is getting more pressure than in recent years. He's still the No 1, but not by the same margin as before. In a year or two I think he will start to slip, just as is happening to Adam Raga at the moment. With those two out of the way, Jaime Busto and Gabriele Marcelli are clearly going to be dominant. At present it looks to me as though Toby Martyn and Aniol Gelabert are the contenders to join them as regular podium sitters.

It's looking that way, he's still winning but he may no longer be untouchable. These guys are really training hard and it shows. For example just watching Marcelli in 2022 vs. 2023, he has improved immensely.