300 pro power issues

SRH

Hello! 

Ive recently got back into trials after some years away and picked up a 2011 300 pro

when i got the bike it was standard with the addition of a slow throttle

the power delivery felt a bit too much for me so in an attempt to tame it down I fitted a low compression insert which seemed to work a treat however when doing a trial last week I felt it lacked power in 1st and I found myself using 2nd more 

almost felt as if the choke was on or something

thinking it may be have been the insert I put the standard one back in and rode today and I’m back to square one with aggressive power

any ideas or is this quite normal for a low compression to tame it down way to much 

i was thinking maybe I should try the low compression with a fast throttle instead of using 2nd for sections 

any advice much appreciated 

I had a 2012 TXT 280 Racing and fitted a flywheel weight along with dropping the front sprocket from 11T to 10T to calm it down. I'm not really a fan of dropping compression or black slow-action Domino throttle tube (requires too much movement of right wrist). I modified a white Domino throttle tube where the cable end connects, by taping 2 hacksaw blades together and cut down a progressive groove to create a "slow-to-fast" acting throttle. This lets me get better control when revving the engine just off idle; and also gets the slide to open up quicker after quarter throttle.

How is the spark plug reading?

• Like 1

Standard gearing a tad high, especially for non expert riders. Try 9 tooth on the front, slow throttle tube, & flywheel weight. I felt that a standard 300 wants to roll on a bit , just when you want to steady things up.  Cheap mod to do & easy to put back. I know an absolute beginner out on  a similar '18 300. Not the preferred norm I know, but he's coping fine.

If you want to enter a trial near you. Try to get to one of the NE centre Wednesday night Summer series ones. Butsfield / Bedburn, etc.  Advertised on here & perfect for new starts. One on tonight, but its starts in 15 minutes time .

Plug looks ok perhaps on the rich side if anything

I was intending on riding Buttsfield quarry tonight but after going back to full power i decided it would be a good idea to test the bike out first to which i did......and had an off! wrecked my back and neck so now not attending tonight haha.

Guess i either need to drop the gearing to a 9/10t and see if that's any better and if not rather than spending another £80 on a flywheel weight i guess ill just have to put the low compression insert back in and persevere with the what seems lack of power!

Wish i had just bought a 250! i naively thought id manage it no problem and it was cheap for the year! all fails ill sell it ha 

Now to find an ice pack and a beer..........

• Like 1

Don't give up on it just yet. 9 tooth (not 10), combined with slow throttle usually calms things down considerably. Clean out the carb. Gassers usually run quite cleanly. Make sure there's no slop with the cable action either, as that doesn't help.

Ultmately,  you are quite correct, a 250 would have been the sensible option

So I had a 10T lying around so I’ve fitted that and now sitting at 10/41, stock insert and slow throttle..I’ll see how I get on with this setup 

Edited by SRH

10 hours ago, fastbelly said:

Gassers are great with the low comp insert. Loads of power if needed just very mellow of the bottom and mid. 

the low compression insert was great but I just felt I didn’t have enough power in 1st again felt like riding with the choke on