no stop

Allihuu

Sorry to say but.... this Belgium GB 2019  everybody top 10 takes two times a section double 5.

why this ****t happens ??? only good thinks was 3 minutes ride time for sections.  i hope this **** end for this season. and 2020 was time 3 minutes, for each sections.

:) 

It’s all a complete pile of pants! We’ve all had this discussion many times over. Just put a 90 second time limit on it and let them carry on! Simple and clear. If they are out of time it’s a 5 and that’s that. They same riders will still finish in the same position. 

No arguments, no did he, didn’t he. Even down to club level. Let them do what they want. It won’t make any difference to the average club men anyway as they can’t to the trick stuff!

• Like 2

Put a time limit but let it be different in each section. The time allowed could be the time it takes  to walk the section from start to end but let the sectionbuilder decide.

The allowed time should be on a sign at the start.

52 minutes ago, viking said:

Put a time limit but let it be different in each section. The time allowed could be the time it takes  to walk the section from start to end but let the sectionbuilder decide.

I like that idea, however I would think you would still need a minimum limit for spectators and maximum limit to keep the riders moving and might also need a maximum total limit to keep things flowing as well.  

My 2 cents. 

Accessing we even ever see this as a possibility.  

On 7/6/2019 at 5:40 PM, dmc2028372 said:

Even down to club level. Let them do what they want. It won’t make any difference to the average club men anyway as they can’t to the trick stuff!

Where you getting all these extra observers at club level to hold a stop watch? Unfeasible

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/7/2019 at 7:11 AM, viking said:

No need, an experienced section builder / course manager should be able to design each section based on an estimate in line with one time limit set (90 secs) to complete the each section. They won't get it perfect every time, but no matter, its the same for all the riders so they have to adapt! 

Keep it simple and consistent that way its as fair as it can be for every rider and easier for the observer to judge.  

Edited by Intotrials

The "no stop" rule is a farce at world level!  If it was strictly adhered to (which all rules should be to keep things consistent and fair) then 100% of the riders would be 5'd  on average 90% of the time at current world events. No observer is going to five a rider for a momentary stop, but the length of those moments is getting increasingly longer and often riders also go backwards and still get away with it. 

Imagine introducing someone new to the sport and trying to explain the rules " oh the riders get 1 mark for footing  once, 2 marks for footing twice and 3 marks for footing 3+ but completing the section" simple enough! Then they get 5 marks for failing the section e.g dismounting the bike, stalling, falling off, going backwards, going outside of the marked section... oh and stopping at any point within the section!  

Imagine their confusion when they witness riders stopping all over the place but being awarded less than a failure!  Me personally, I'd be completely bemused and consider the sport stupid. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 9:51 AM, faussy said:

Where you getting all these extra observers at club level to hold a stop watch? Unfeasible

Hold a stopwatch?? How many extra do you need??
surely any observer on their own could press start on a stopwatch and when it beeps its time up.

1 hour ago, nickday1 said:

Hold a stopwatch?? How many extra do you need??
surely any observer on their own could press start on a stopwatch and when it beeps its time up.

Go to your local summer trial, go ask for observers, then get back to me

And what about the riders, are they going to have to start their stopwatches (with alarms) everytime they ride into a section or will they all just have minders to tell them when there's 10 seconds left?

Edited by faussy

15 hours ago, faussy said:

Go to your local summer trial, go ask for observers, then get back to me

And what about the riders, are they going to have to start their stopwatches (with alarms) everytime they ride into a section or will they all just have minders to tell them when there's 10 seconds left?

It's only a bit of fun, if we all behave like grown ups, none of this would be a problem.

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2

There's no need to have timed sections at a club level. As b40rt says its just a bit of fun for the majority of riders. Getting volunteers to observe is difficult enough without putting them under more undue pressure. 

At Championship level where the riders are actually professional and are paid to compete then keeping a tight format is a necessity in my opinion. There is generally 2-4 observers per section and the riders have minders, so plenty of support to keep an eye on time. The other thing is, world events should attract bigger crowds, if these crowds start to diminish then there is a problem that needs addressing. If that problem is due to boredom, which in my opinion it seems to be heading that way, then this needs addressing. There's nothing more boring than watching a rider static messing around lining up. The more dynamic a rider is the more exciting it tends to be to watch, so a time limit on a section helps keep things moving. I guess the no stop rule was an attempt to improve this also, shame it fails due to the modern style of riding and current trend of section design.   

Edited by Intotrials
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

it would be easy, you have a foot operated beeper activated by the rider timing 90 secs or whatever.

They could have, something like in MX -  where they have an electronic radio device attached to the bike which then allows lap timing without the need for someone with a clock.

At trials world rounds the timer starts as they enter and finishes as they exit each section. There could be an indicator on the handle bars which shows a count down. Then regardless if the rider completes the section without fault if they go over time they are automatically given a 5. There would be no discrepancy and the observer wouldn't have to worry about a stop watch. The observer could have a receiver which shows him/her the time also. There could also be a master receiver back at the score control that records all the times for each rider per section, per lap. this way there is no doubt or argument.

Hey, they could even introduce an award bonus system, where perhaps a rider gets a mark deducted for an accumulation of a certain amount of saved time per lap, who knows ?  

• Like 1