So Little info

Sam-Clark

Hi Guys.

Ive watched a few videos of Sidecar Trials on YouTube and it looks like great fun, But there is little info available regarding the cost of building a sidecar ? Who builds them and for what kind of price ?

Is it possible for a father /son team to enter ? what is the minimum age ?

Recommended bike ? (generally)

Hi

Like you I am just starting.

I bought a used chair and attached it to a bike I already had.  Massive amount of work, and more expensive than I thought, even though I started with a chair in relatively good condition.

As you don't have a bike I would suggest you buy a complete outfit. 

It probably doesn't matter what sort it is as its bound to be better than you and your son are as driver/passenger.

A quick trip round the garden with my daughter as passenger tells me this.  We struggled on the simplest obstacles.  The technique is seems completely different from solos.

It is a lot of fun though, so keep your eyes on the small ads and you should find something to start with.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I build new sidecars and also do a refurbishment and fitting service. For a brand new chair fully fitted to your bike, you are looking at around £2000 > £2500 depending on the wheel/brake option. Yes very easy for a father/son team to ride, there are a few father/son father/daughter teams around. Normal minimum age for rider or passenger is 16 years old. But it is possible to get a dispensation from the ACU for a passenger of 14 years old. But you would need to talk with them and meet some requirements regarding experience of driver/ passengers previous riding etc. Recommended bike would be, the newer the better Road registered (as a lot of the nationals are road based) and a 300 2T if possible, but a 250 will cope with most things.

• Thanks 1