1996 JTR Gas Gas 250

Tilly60

I decided to take the bike to "trials and tribulations" for a looking at, as the clutch is still not working as it needs to be, I put it in gear and was wheeling with the clutch in. Good job I was on the flat not up the side of a hill. Something is a miss on the thing. I will let you know what they say. Took the bike in to Trials and tribulations to look at the issue and was told don't use ATF in the engine just light gear oil.

Edited by Dragontest
Uploaded

• 2 weeks later...

Had a new clutch and water pump kit done it works a dream also had the whole exhaust system repacked so it now sounds  better and has back pressure. Next is a piston and barrel change and all new bearings. It should be good for another 20 years...

Brilliant, is there no clutch lurching anymore, 

did he say what it was and what was cost

my rad fan was kaput, so took all apart and got a standard 5v usb fan from home bargains £2.99 then went on eBay and got a 12v to 5v  reducer £3 modified it and wallop, works a treat,  run for 2 hrs and fan kicks in a treat.

just need to sort my clutch out, going to try 0 to 30 fully synthetic, will let you know how it goes.

getting there ?

The bikes clutch is great now, no lurching, however I bought a recon cylinder barrel and piston as I've decided to have a full engine rebuild including big end. Which means getting the crank split and a new Conrod kit,new mains and seals.I guess if it's replaceable it's being replaced in the engine. Also overhauling the rear shock linkages while it's getting the engine renewed. Trial and tribulations is doing all the work on the bike for me.

He put in light-gear oil in the box and told me to just stick with it and not to bother with ATF.

They are such good bikes it's worth keeping it going and this work will last quite a long time, after all they won the trials world cup on the JT25 contact.

1995_contact_jt_25.jpg

Brilliant, I agree love the bike and at 23 yrs old, it’s a challenge 

mine still creeps but can hold it back as it’s not too bad, going to try clutch cylinder next, had light oil 75w semi syn in it but changed it to 15-40w mineral and its slightly better and time will tell

i had water in oil but hopefully cured that with new seal.

there was a lot of oil sludge in rad but flushed it out and seams ok.

just love been in garage Laking with it, 

what power it’s got too ?

• 2 weeks later...

They are punchy motors for sure mine will have had a full engine rebuild rebuilt exhaust system new wheel bearings and possibly a caliper rebuild on the front? costing a few quid but there's not many about these days, even second hand parts are getting sparse... Since they are world cup winning bikes they are still worth keeping going. I dare not work out the spend so far, but it could well run for another quarter century not needing very much other than service item's. Well that's the hope?

Wow your really going to town,

I agree some of the parts are abit hard to come by but anything can be found if you look hard enough, clutch seem a bit better with different oil still a bit of slip but controlled with brake and doesn’t effect its awesome power.

really are a classic and all reviews say best of its time, and bullet proof reliability ?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Tilly60 I just finished the engine rebuilding and bought new chain and sprockets 10/43 and fitted a new side stand. The bike rides and now sounds like new,I had difficulty finding a Conrod kit, but got one after much searching, also a replayed barrel and new piston, new mains new water pump you name it it had it. What a nice bike from the mid 90s. I haven't seen one being ridden locally other than mine with me on it? I hope yours is riding okay.

1 minute ago, Dragontest said:

Tilly60 I just finished the engine rebuilding and bought new chain and sprockets 10/43 and fitted a new side stand. The bike rides and now sounds like new,I had difficulty finding a Conrod kit, but got one after much searching, also a replayed barrel and new piston, new mains new water pump you name it it had it. What a nice bike from the mid 90s. I haven't seen one being ridden locally other than mine with me on it? I hope yours is riding okay.

Forgot to add new clutch, new slave and master seal kit to the list... Spent way above the budget I set but figured it's worth doing as it's a keeper. I normally ride a Bultaco Sherpa so my style is still old school.

• Like 2