Sign in to follow this  
bgeacook

spark arrestor for model 85 alpina

was tentatively planning on riding my father's bike in a poker run but approved spark arrestor mufflers are required.  the club organizing the event are very strick about it- it's state land so they have to be.  all these years (he bought it new)  I've assumed the stock muffler was U.S. Forest  Service approved (which is the standard here in the states). since it's not fiberglass packed it shouldn't NEED to be a spark arrestor design but 'rules are rules' they will say.   were there ever units made for the alpina and/or what are my options?   

USFS approval is not the standard in Washington. It does need to be marked as a spark arrestor though. My later model is marked in tiny letters that are hard to see. Assuming you have the original system you might look it over closely, otherwise it's going to take some fabrication.

• Like 1

Hi bgeacook, I am not in the U.S. but on my Alpina the rear silencer is the clubfoot type fitter on most of them. A few years ago I cut it open to re/build and I noticed the small stamping sayingit was a spark arrester. If you have that kind I suggest a thorough clean with a rotary wire brush to remove any rust, to see the lettering. Highlight that with a little white or orange paint, that should be fine for tech inspection. Hope this is of help............

There were several brands that worked back in the day. Chances of finding one is very slim. Skyway, seen some modified super traps. 

I am about to remove the spark arrestor from my Cota 348 MRR. If its going to help you out I can send you a photo or two. PM me bgeacock.

Well its off and it is stamped as a Skywalk Spark Arrestor there are other markings together with a number 2500. If you want it you can have it for the post and packing from UK to USA.

Edited by section swept
spelling