Beta 4T Flywheel Holding Tool?

mcman56

How do you hold the flywheel when tightening the retaining nut on a Beta 4T?  (post 2014 2Ts may be the same)  There are no threads to interface with like the older 2Ts.  I bought a Tusk tool for this purpose but it is too small to fit the flywheel.  I have a rubber strap wrench but it can not get a good bite.

Use the crankshaft locking bolt located in the lower front of the right side crankcase. Don't remove the bolt that is closest to the oil filter cavity, the locking bolt is lower down. Remove the locking bolt, then remove the copper washer. Replace the bolt when the slot cut in the crankshaft flywheel is visible through the 8mm hole, the piston is at TDC now. The tapered end of the bolt will fit into this slot and will hold the crank and external flywheel so that you can torque the nut. Replace the copper washer and re-tighten the bolt when done. Use enough force to seal, but not enough to deform the washer. I found out the hard way that the factory recommended torque for the locking bolt caused the copper washer to become concaved, and the bolt made contact with the flywheel. It would not kick over, was the big clue. For some reason Beta cuts a 10 mm hole under the washer, before the threaded 8 mm section that the bolt uses. 

Like arbutus I used the locking bolt when I removed the flywheel.

I was concerned that it might not be strong enough for the job so use a clutch holding tool (the one like mole grips) to hold the primary drive sprocket as well.

Might have been overkill though as the locking bolt was good enough to hold it when I put the nut back on.

The Beta manual recommends just the bolt to hold everything whilst the engine is stripped.