Another crazy idea?

dan williams

I agree not everybody should get a trophy but everybody should be able to play. Hence some want/need electric starters. Plenty of people who have trouble kicking a bike over at the end of the day are perfectly capable of kicking my ass in the sections. The relative merits are not the issue I was trying to elevate. Merely that I think it can be done better. The same attitudes were on full display when radial tires came out. Same for water cooled engines. 

I ride a 4rt and would never go back to a carb - I know EFI is more complicated and heavier but think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

i think we would all like electric start - just got to get the maths to stack up

Edited by jimmyl
Grammer

7 hours ago, konrad said:

The problem is more than merely academic to me.  My wife thinks the thing that will eventually cause her to stop competing is repeatedly starting the bike.  I compete on a 250 because it's easier to kick.

My wife chose her trials bike (Beta 200) based on the relative ease of starting it

On 7/21/2019 at 4:31 AM, mcman56 said:

"starter motor and then switched to generate power"

1970 Yamaha AT1 125  had that

My parents CZ scooter had that in the early 60s maybe even late 50s but it was quite a bit bigger than the normal generators fitted to their road bikes with the same motor. Electrics have improved hugely since then

1 hour ago, tony27 said:

My parents CZ scooter had that in the early 60s maybe even late 50s but it was quite a bit bigger than the normal generators fitted to their road bikes with the same motor. Electrics have improved hugely since then

Wow we had one of those CZ scooters too! I also remember our CZ scooter was 12v electrics when most bikes were 6V

Theirs was 1 of the locally assembled ones called a NZeta, I seem to remember when they picked it up at a fundraising auction that they used a car battery to get it running & take it for a ride.

They were quite a different bike with petrol tank over the front wheel, a spare wheel that fitted either end & the 12v electrics

I spent a lot of time on Jawa & CZ bikes when I was younger, they were really well made with a lot of parts sharing between the brands & engine sizes