TY80 Frame Repairs

gjscott

I have started restoring a 1975 TY80B that I recently purchased. First on the list is to repair the bash guard area which has been damaged and badly welded up. 

I'm not fully sure how to approach it at this point, but I'm thinking I need to cut out the guard plate, then try to reform the crushed C-section pressings on either side. To reform them I intend to get some round bar the same diameter as the inside of the C-section, bend it to match the bend to the down-tube, then heat up the C-section and press or hammer the bar into the section to reform it. Then i may weld some tube in to strengthen it. 

After that I use a bolt on Aluminium skid plate. 

Has anyone here tackled this repair before, and how did you do it?

IMG_6449.JPG

IMG_6448.JPG

IMG_6450.JPG

IMG_6451.JPG

IMG_6452.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

Edited by gjscott
spelling

Sounds like your best bet. While i agree that putting tubing in and welding it in place would add nice strength to the c section, are you sure it won't foul anything else. Seems weird that they went to the trouble to make those two pieces rather than just extending the down tubes.

Your other option is to do just that, cut out the c section completely, extend the down tubes to the footrest mounts and then fabricate 2 engine mounts. Not as original i know

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faussy said:

Sounds like your best bet. While i agree that putting tubing in and welding it in place would add nice strength to the c section, are you sure it won't foul anything else. Seems weird that they went to the trouble to make those two pieces rather than just extending the down tubes.

Your other option is to do just that, cut out the c section completely, extend the down tubes to the footrest mounts and then fabricate 2 engine mounts. Not as original i know

I’ll straighten everything up, install the tubes without welding them, and refit the engine to check for any interferences. 

I’d like to keep it looking as stock as possible. 

Edited by gjscott
Typo
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 11:20 AM, jreilly said:

ty 80 frame pics

ty 005.jpg

ty_006.jpg

The sections I initially wanted look good, but in the meantime I've gone in a different direction. It would be a shame to cut up that frame anyway."
I still want a side stand bracket however. 
Thanks very much for your help.