TRS RR 300 leaking coolant

dwb5151

Hi my 2018 trs rr 300 is leaking coolant from this hole in the clutch casing, is there supposed to be a hole here. The casing was replaced under warrenty a few months ago with a 2019 part including the gasket.  It only started doing this last night. Many thanks

Edited by dwb5151

If it's the pin home on the underside of the water pump that means the seal has failed. The idea is you notice it weeping before it does too much damage. Drain the oil as soon as you can as the clutch plates may react with the coolant then you will need a new set

There is TWO seals. One to seal the coolant from exiting the pump, and the other on the shaft to seal the oil in the case and not contaminate the coolant. Both same size but different part numbers as one is NBR and the other Viton. In the little cavity between the two seals is a small hole that exits just below the water pump. (7 o'clock if you are looking straight at it). This allows coolant or oil to exit if either seal is compromised.

As there is no "expansion tank" in the coolant system, I have found if you fill the radiator all the way to the top this can happen. The pressure relief valve on the top of the radiator sometimes gets a bit crusty or blocked a little and won't blow off completely, so the only other way for the system to relieve pressure is blowing past the WP seal and out that little hole. Before changinging seals make sure your coolant level is not right up to the top (I leave about 8 -10 mm gap - about half way up the top tank above the fins) and get that little pressure relief valve out and give it a good clean up. It may be OK.

trs-seals-2.png

Edited by arnoux
  • Like 6

I would just change it again. Almost all the time it comes out the weep hole when the seals are bad. Not a bad idea to keep a spare outside seal. Which can be changed without taking the bike further apart.

By the way the above diagram is incorrect. You need to look at the 2018 RR parts book. The seals are on the outside of the gear.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 2

this is the third seal to go on the water pump.  The first two times it happened, it was under warranty and it was due to the clutch casing not being machined properly.  Would it be worth investing in the CSP aftermarket kit? 

Being it is the first since the case replacement, I would hit the dealer up for just the outside seal and see how long it lasts. Pay close attention to the old seal for small plastic pieces. We have not had an issue since last September, I changed shaft, seals and impellor. All under warranty and everything was shipped fast. The engine is really put together very well  I would buy another.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lineaway said:

I would just change it again. Almost all the time it comes out the weep hole when the seals are bad. Not a bad idea to keep a spare outside seal. Which can be changed without taking the bike further apart.

By the way the above diagram is incorrect. You need to look at the 2018 RR parts book. The seals are on the outside of the gear.

I just got back from a ride and there is indeed a damp spot around the weep hole. (something just not right about that description).  Coolant is a bit grey.

I haven't looked at the oil again yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've replaced both seals.  I probably should have done the shaft as well as there is a very slight depression worn in where the seals sit.

Anyway there is nothing bleeding out now.  I'll put a couple of hours on it then drain the oil carefully to avoid getting dirt in it. I'll put it back in if it's clear.