Sharpening footpegs?

woesten

I bought a Beta Evo and the points on the pegs are more blunt than any I've ever seen on an off road motorcycle.  I feel like they'e been a factor in my foot coming off at least once already.  Seems like they could be fixed with some dremel work.  Has anyone ever done this?  I'm using MX boots right now which are a little smooth in comparison to what I think I see on trials boots, which doesnt help.  I should probably just buy new pegs as I think the teeth are aluminum and would get bent even more easily.  Also If anyone can recommend inexpensive ones I'd appreciate it.

IMG_20190726_113506749.jpg

Round file is best - I always set my pegs above horizontal as when the bike leans they naturally slope downwards enticing your feet to slide off.

Trials boots are much better than MX ones  -even if you bet a second hand pair

• Like 3

They aren't standard EVO Pegs, but they look perfectly OK IMHO. I've been riding over 50 years in UK Mud / rocks & never resorted to sharpening pegs, as they are the first things you whack your leg on when you experience an unplanned get off . Replace MX boots with proper trials ones as MX aren't designed to grip, more to slide your boot round corners. Some people have been known to sharpen pegs, but its a bit old skool dating back to the 60's & 70's. If you do decide to go down the sharpening route, they will draw more blood when you bale out in a hurry.

• Like 1

If you file the valleys rather than the peaks  you can restore a better profile without making them razor sharp.

works on the old style metal and Ally ones but no need with the grub screw style which just need the screws changing every year or so.

the angle of you footrests is more important. Can’t believe how many droopy pegs you see while sat in a queue .

( other pet hate - snail cams pointing down ???)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyl said:

If you file the valleys rather than the peaks  you can restore a better profile without making them razor sharp.

works on the old style metal and Ally ones but no need with the grub screw style which just need the screws changing every year or so.

the angle of you footrests is more important. Can’t believe how many droopy pegs you see while sat in a queue .

( other pet hate - snail cams pointing down ???)

I'll second that (don't understand why folk spend out on expensive pegs to have 'em pointing at the ground) and the cams, also spring clips on the outside of the chain, another bugbear for an old git like me from the era when nobody "serviced" a trials bike - you set it up properly then maintained it according to use, not some schedule.

• Like 1

Well, I would add some caution. Last year we ran a classic trial, that due to early morning rain became very slippery. A guy decending down a moderate hill lost control and some how wrapped the bike around him with the footrests slicing.. into the rear of this thigh.  Not noticing for a minute as he straigthend up, its only when his Hebo's filled with blood that the extent to the injury was evedent.  He made it back to the start were he almost passed out, as the ambulance whisked him away for an operation and an overnight stay in hospital.  A keen dancer he managed to, after recupatration return to that,  and trialing some months later as luckly,  it missed vital tendons.... So....without trying to over dramatise what happened, it was a very serious injury from a very inocuious fall... Beward of riding with carving knives as footrests as this could be you .......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think we suggesting that they should be sharpened to a point -just dressed to return then to as new condition.

I do remember gashing my shin on the footrest of my new 2003 Gasgas contact many years back. Decided to check in to casualty when I got home and a couple of stitches were recommended  - was most taken aback when the nurse asked if the metal I had done the injury on was rusty - heck no - only just bought the blooming think was my reply to which my wife added  - and he hasn't stopped polishing yet:rotfl::thumbup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...