montesa 348 spark plug hole

aussierider

I converted the mid-section and rear silencers on my 247 (same as used on 348) to be repackable, without the expense of welding (which is outside my scope). 

I removed a rectangular section from the flat surface on the back of the silencer with an angle grinder, leaving a 1 cm margin of flat surface around the aperture. Then pulled out the remainder of the original packing (mainly solid lumps of carbon after 40 years of use) from around the perforated tube inside the silencer.  Next, repacked the space around the tube with new packing material (the loose wool type). Then, cut a rectangular piece of alloy sheet which I had lying around, to cover the hole and overlap onto the surrounding margin . Drilled small holes around the perimeter at 1cm intervals, through the alloy plate and into the silencer body, then used self tapping screws to hold the plate to the silencer (holes should be small enough to allow the screws a bite into the silencer). Lastly, a strip of heatproof silicone seal around the edge of the alloy plate and a layer of exhaust paint brushed over the whole to tidy everything up. This has proved perfectly reliable and repacking is easy by removing the screws.

4 hours ago, barnesy said:

Bit off topic chappo but where are you getting your exhaust repacked?  as I need mine doing ( are you getting exhaust and silencer done) is it expensive?

cheers

Barnsey, do it yourself, well the prep work. Get a Dremmel ( other makes are available ) with a 1mm thick cutting disc, cut a section of each silencer out, take out whatever you find in there. My rear silencer was choked up with oily residue, the perforated baffle tubes were solid. The front pipe silencer had nothing in it at all, had obviously blown it all out. Buy some exhaust matting, or you can buy it loose, i just find the matting is easier to apply.

When i get them back ill post a picture then you know where to cut. The matting was about a tenner for a lot. The welding is being done by a family member, so a few beers in cost. Not a costly process considering.

I did my Sherpa and it did make a difference, now runs smooth with a lovely exhaust tone, not sure how the 348 will pan out. Hope this helps.