What's next to prosper in the Pre -65 class?

jimmitchell

A question to make Charlie P  despair! In the lightweight class we have had the James, Triumph Cub and Bantam eras, all machines passed as being pre-65 in style and substance. What might be the next all victorious model in this class.

Edited by jimmitchell

Inspecting some of the Pre-65 machines that I regularly see at trials meets, it is sometimes hard to identify which bits exactly are pre 65 and which parts are replica, modern upgrades or even bits that were not available or even invented at the time!

Then you have the hidden modern bits, such as Yamaha pistons in Bantams, modern internals in older forks etc.

Edited by stpauls

It seems almost impossible to find a cheap route into pre 65 as well - even the most rust eaten-old frames are very expensive. I guess it's all down to supply/demand and lots of people willing to pay any amount of money to get the most competetive machine.

Maybe a class with a pit bike type engine (or maybe an electric motor to be a bit more environmentally friendly -although these seem expensive at the moment) and maybe a rigid frame that you have to make yourself either by welding or bolting together? forks/brakes/wheels could be from any source. Not sure how to source a headstock. I can imagine this being fun to build and ride, with a sense of achievement to have created something unique. 

1 hour ago, markparrish said:

Maybe a class with a pit bike type engine (or maybe an electric motor to be a bit more environmentally friendly -although these seem expensive at the moment) and maybe a rigid frame that you have to make yourself either by welding or bolting together? forks/brakes/wheels could be from any source. Not sure how to source a headstock. I can imagine this being fun to build and ride, with a sense of achievement to have created something unique. 

Mountain bike with pit bike engine, sorted.

• Like 1

Surely if you want cheap trials twin shock is the way to go. Dave at 'in motion' is struggling to get rid of some lovely bikes in the pocket money bracket. then there's eBay tons of bikes from scrap to fully built. 

thats all the internet routes exhausted. if you get out and talk to people theres many an old timer happy to give stuff away. I find it amusing the way some old fellas are so cross about inflation they want to do something generous.

But nowt comes free, create your own luch and work hard. either at work become a lawyer or something that pays well  or work hard in the garage at home...

On 8/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, jimmitchell said:

A question to make Charlie P  despair! In the lightweight class we have had the James, Triumph Cub and Bantam eras, all machines passed as being pre-65 in style and substance. What might be the next all victorious model in this class.

Well, given that there does not seem to have been a rush on Tigress motors following the Pre'65 Scottish, then, as we seem to have used all the British options, it will be foreign motors.