Helmet disinfectant

dan williams

Cheaper than those piddly little cans of helmet mousse. Highly flammable! Illegal in many jurisdictions. Extremely effective.

Yes I know you can buy cans of denatured alcohol much cheaper but they have acetone and methylated ketones and who knows what else to make them poisonous, well more poisonous, and I’m not sure how those additives affect the helmet materials.

edit: turns out acetone is a solvent for polystyrene.

696E329D-5DD0-450B-8C33-C37AAE3479B7.jpeg

Edited by dan williams

Not as fast but I find using a spray bottle of white vinegar over my helmet and then left to fully air out and then give it a good spray down with just water to remove the residual vinegar smell seems to disinfect mine fine. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Yeah but the residual smell of vinegar or Lysol would drive me crazy. This stuff dries leaving only a residue of water. I’ve been using it for a year or so on the new carbon Jitsie my wife got me and it seems to work the best of anything I’ve tried. Pretty much de-stank my old NZIs too. Supposedly illegal where I live but the local store has it on the shelf so...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dan williams said:

Yeah but the residual smell of vinegar or Lysol would drive me crazy. This stuff dries leaving only a residue of water. I’ve been using it for a year or so on the new carbon Jitsie my wife got me and it seems to work the best of anything I’ve tried. Pretty much de-stank my old NZIs too. Supposedly illegal where I live but the local store has it on the shelf so...

Dan what would be a common use for that Everclear product? There's nothing like that available here.

9 hours ago, dan williams said:

on the new carbon Jitsie

That helmet has a removable liner. I can't think of any reason why you would prefer to do this than remove the liner and machine wash it...

Edited by faussy

2 hours ago, faussy said:

That helmet has a removable liner. I can't think of any reason why you would prefer to do this than remove the liner and machine wash it...

Last time I machine washed a liner I pulled a mass of threads and foam pads out of the machine.

7 hours ago, feetupfun said:

Dan what would be a common use for that Everclear product? There's nothing like that available here.

Two words, college students. Essentially pure ethanol. Used for making your own fortified wine, liqueur, ER visit for alcohol poisoning.... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dan williams said:

Last time I machine washed a liner I pulled a mass of threads and foam pads out of the machine.

Ive washed my own jitsie liner dozens of times and its still in good condition. Unless you are dousing and rinsing it out with the alcohol you aren't actually cleaning, just masking bad smells. 

Edited by faussy

1 hour ago, faussy said:

Ive washed my own jitsie liner dozens of times and its still in good condition. Unless you are dousing and rinsing it out with the alcohol you aren't actually cleaning, just masking bad smells. 

Killing the bacteria that cause the smell.

33 minutes ago, dan williams said:

Killing the bacteria that cause the smell.

But you still have a dirty sweaty helmet. Same reason we don't wash our drawers in alcohol ?

Edited by faussy