KTM freeride 250R

v1nn1e

This early 2T version had escaped me but recently came across it surfing around eBay.

Wondered whether anyone had first hand experience of one tackling a section, or even hearsay from someone else that had tried...?

Given I'm not a serious trials rider, and fitted with the right sort of tyres, wondered if it could tackle both green-laning and a bit of self-learning at my local trials centre...?

Many riders used them in yesterdays Eastbourne 120 mile single lap LDT trial which had 20 sections and in many other LDT events.  The only 2 riders that went round clean both rode KTM 250r's........

I rode mine.....   Super in sections .......   

Ideal bike for Long Distance Trial Events.  South East centre have a four round championship as does the ACU national championship.

Sent you PM

Edited by gasserguy

I love mine. They need a bit of fettling to get the jetting right and they never run silky smooth off the bottom but it's the most versatile bike out there. I use mine for Time Trials where the difference in size to a real enduro bike makes the whole thing a lot more fun. On LDTs the increased agility makes it very capable in sections. I've even raced a h&h on it and come mid clubman which is probably the same as I'd have come on my enduro bike. I really enjoy doing trail bike trials on it. 

However, it's built to a price so it's not the most robust of bikes. The biggest issue for me is the lack of a kick start. Second to this is the jetting. Other people complain about the brakes but they are absolutely fine unless you are really hammering it. 

Since getting mine, I've only ridden my enduro bike a few times, and that was mainly to keep it from sitting around too long. 

Having had rather a load of trouble with my Sherco last year, finally resolved over the winter, I'm rather hesitant to launch into another round of fiddling and fettling, especially as it would initially be replacing my uber-reliable Yamaha TTR250.

The more I've read about them, the more I think it may just be too fragile an option.

Many thanks for the replies.

I very nearly bought a KTM Freeride about three years ago but after a fair bit of research was put off by the niggles. They look lovely but I read lot of negative reports on maintenance (especially starter motor on the earlier models). Know it's not a 2T, but the Montesa 4Ride is a great fun bike for your brief and really well built.

rr62, I've tried a 4ride down at the Dave Thorpe Honda off-road experience in Exmoor. It's a great little bike and TBH, I wouldn't have been on anything else, but even so just felt it was a bit too much trials for riding open lanes and road work in between. A sixth, higher, gear would have been nice and just a little more suspension travel. AFAIK it really is just a Cota4RT with seat, lights and a slightly larger tank.

Having said that, member of my local TRF has a 4ride for LDT and is always trying to persuade me to buy one! :)

gasserguy, what year is your Freeride...?

PS - What range do you get from the tank?

Edited by v1nn1e

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2019 at 10:00 PM, al_orange said:

I love mine. They need a bit of fettling to get the jetting right and they never run silky smooth off the bottom but it's the most versatile bike out there. I use mine for Time Trials where the difference in size to a real enduro bike makes the whole thing a lot more fun. On LDTs the increased agility makes it very capable in sections. I've even raced a h&h on it and come mid clubman which is probably the same as I'd have come on my enduro bike. I really enjoy doing trail bike trials on it. 

However, it's built to a price so it's not the most robust of bikes. The biggest issue for me is the lack of a kick start. Second to this is the jetting. Other people complain about the brakes but they are absolutely fine unless you are really hammering it. 

Since getting mine, I've only ridden my enduro bike a few times, and that was mainly to keep it from sitting around too long. 

Hi al_orange 

New to this forum and am looking for any info on jetting for my 250 freeride 2016 It’s has been set to the US spec including jets and needle position 4th clip 122MJ & 48PJ is that what you did ? I appreciate your post was a while ago but any info would be helpful. It has always bogged a bit off idle but while cleaning out the carb thought I’d check ? Very happy with the bike for general byways and the odd LDT been reliability too !  Cheers 

1 hour ago, SussexKM said:

Hi al_orange 

New to this forum and am looking for any info on jetting for my 250 freeride 2016 It’s has been set to the US spec including jets and needle position 4th clip 122MJ & 48PJ is that what you did ? I appreciate your post was a while ago but any info would be helpful. It has always bogged a bit off idle but while cleaning out the carb thought I’d check ? Very happy with the bike for general byways and the odd LDT been reliability too !  Cheers 

I would put the settings back to whatever they are in the manual for your altitude and temperature range first. Then, go one richer on the pilot and main if needed. I would consider a richer needle diameter too. That has made the most difference to the way mine rides. 

I think (but just from memory) I'm on 48pj, JJF Needle, Clip 4, 128mj. But I've got a drilled air canister and it might be a touch rich at the top now. 

I found fitting the richer needle makes the most difference and it pulls nice and cleanly under load but will always ring-ding-ding when coasting with clutch in (downhill etc.)

I'd say mine runs as well as it can but it is down on power at the moment. I hope this is due to it needing a piston and not the jetting because it runs nicely otherwise.

1 hour ago, al_orange said:

I would put the settings back to whatever they are in the manual for your altitude and temperature range first. Then, go one richer on the pilot and main if needed. I would consider a richer needle diameter too. That has made the most difference to the way mine rides. 

I think (but just from memory) I'm on 48pj, JJF Needle, Clip 4, 128mj. But I've got a drilled air canister and it might be a touch rich at the top now. 

I found fitting the richer needle makes the most difference and it pulls nice and cleanly under load but will always ring-ding-ding when coasting with clutch in (downhill etc.)

I'd say mine runs as well as it can but it is down on power at the moment. I hope this is due to it needing a piston and not the jetting because it runs nicely otherwise.

Thanks for that info al_orange, The manual is a bit ambiguous as for Europe it recommends smaller Pj & Mj and lower needle height than I have,  but then the chart for altitude and temperature my jets are spot on ! I’ll leave as they are as my air box is standard but will try and fine tune the air screw for winter now, but then maybe in the spring try your advice in changing the needle. Kind regards KM