Newer bike

Robert n

Hi all im wanting to upgrade from my 2006 290 sherco that iv had for 11yrs to something newer i fancied the 4rt but have been told they are heavy and sluggish compared  so looking for advice on what we are favering at the min thanks 

Agree - try lots! But I love my 4RT - always starts first kick, superb build quality and great fun to ride. It may be a bit heavier than other bikes but I've really enjoyed mine and will get another one just as soon as the 2020 update (if there is going to be one) is announced.

• Like 2

Anything modern is going to be so much better than your present bike.Trying as many as you can may leave you confused as to which is the best for you,there's not a lot to choose between them and they are all good.Ideally you need to ride a few sections,test riding in a dealers car park doesn't tell you much?Can you scrounge a ride on some friends bikes and end up with a short list and go from there

• Like 2

Agree with the previous posts but think you might be wise to stick with 2 strokes after having one for so long. 4RT's are well engineered bikes but not for everyone and you would need to adapt your riding style to get use to a lot more engine braking etc etc. 

Shercos are very underrated in my opinion, I have a 2017 Factory 250 and it rides really nice. The only thing I have done to it is fitted a slow action throttle as it suits my style of riding better, got it for a very reasonable price too. 

Take your time, try them all if possible and whatever you buy have fun! 

• Like 2

300 gas gas is a terrific bike,I don't think they wear out any more quickly than any other European brand,it's down to riding style and maintenance.The Scorpa and Sherco are very similar.I think you have to be a pretty good rider to benefit from a modern 300

• Like 1

Biased as I am, they are lovely!! And I've recently been very torn about buying an Evo 200 - suspect the Beta would save me a few marks but will cost me more time (maintaining) and money (incl. parts and depreciation). On full bore across trails or whatever, the sound of the Montesa is unbeatable. And at 1800 RPM on tickover, it's rare that you'll stall in a section. The only big grumble is how to ride in mud but plenty of advice in other parts of this forum (old school throttle control, etc) and your'e in God's Own so not too much mud! A good shout would be to pop across to Inch Perfect and spend a day on one - that will swing it either way. 

• Like 1