Levers for small hands

ChrisCH

The missus is struggling with clutch and brake control (Evo 250).  She finds it difficult to grip the bars and operate the levers at the same time so is slipping into bad habits of using two fingers on the levers or not covering the levers while riding.  The bike has AJP levers on it at the minute and I wondered if anyone else with this issue has a better recommendation?  My bike has Apico and they really don't look any different if I'm honest, just a bit longer.  I'm also tempted by some of the clutch modifications in the Beta forum to make it easier to pull the lever in.

Any thoughts welcome.  Thanks.

You need to grind down the push pins. The pin is the part pushing the master cylinder piston. This is the only way to get the lever closer to the bar and still have free play. On the clutch, I would first try removing two springs. The proper way is lighter springs. Mine are very light springs and the bike still hooks up fine. My clutch pull is almost non existent. 

3 hours ago, lineaway said:

You need to grind down the push pins. The pin is the part pushing the master cylinder piston. This is the only way to get the lever closer to the bar and still have free play. On the clutch, I would first try removing two springs. The proper way is lighter springs. Mine are very light springs and the bike still hooks up fine. My clutch pull is almost non existent. 

Thanks.  I will have a session on the clutch at some point and do the "Beta fix" and fit softer springs.  I am not sure about the adjustment you mention - I think I understand but will this not mean the levers trap the grip fingers?  We still have some adjustment left on the nut and grub screw assemblies but if I take them in any further the clutch lever hits her fingers before it has fully disengaged.

For road bikes you used to get a "dog leg" lever if I remember correctly?  I wondered if something like that was available?  There must be a lot of other women and youth riders that have the same issue.

I have ARC folding levers on my sherco & the span is adjustable independent of the other adjustments using the bolt & locknut near the folding pivot point in visible in this photo. Some of the other folding levers may have the same feature

069.jpg