348 fork yokes

sparkieb

Has anyone ever had any made, mine are de-laminating and to be honest are knackered. Keep looking for good 2nd hand ones but none popping up so considering getting some made but the cost (looks like £350/400) is seriously putting me off. Cheers Mark

Man that sounds a lot of $$$ for those yokes. They are so plain and simple.

I know Jared Bates advertised NOS ones about 6 months ago for very low $$$. Jared no longer sells Montesa parts but the person who bought Jared's stock advertises Montesa parts on eBay (USA)

Have you looked at the Spanish shops that sell trials bike parts from that era?

Edited by feetupfun

Not sure what you mean by 'de-laminating'

The yokes are a one piece casting, machined, anodised.

There is nothing there to 'de-laminate'

If you mean the look of the yokes is poor, then polish them up/get them re-anodised. (Anodising is a surface modification microns thick, not a coating).

I linished my yokes and then vapour blasted. Look like brand new.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:51 AM, feetupfun said:

Corroded yokes is a common thing with 348s but there are usually some being broken down for parts in the UK. Be aware that the yokes from a 247 look very similar and will fit, but have slightly different geometry. Both 247 and 348 yokes were made from rolled aluminium plate which lends them to that sort of failure. I saw some NOS 348 yokes advertised a while back in the US. Sorry not allowed to mention suppliers on here.

As for water getting inside things, one of my 348s came with collapsed forks and I found they were full of water. Lots of corrosion on the insides of the tubes.

Was told they are rolled aluminium, when im home i will send you a picture, they are corroding apart in layers 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, feetupfun said:

They used rolled plate because that was an economical way to make them. What do you think the expensive modern aftermarket yokes are made from?

Well I'm sure that some 'claim' to CNC machine from solid billets. Maybe they are using rolled plate also. I have never looked into it closely to be honest.

• Confused 1