2019 gasgas only changes up

HandymanJ

Broke my gear lever today and obviously brought on some issues in the gearbox.

The bike will only change gear up the box and won’t come down unless leant right over gear lever side (bar end 2 foot off the floor) and wobbled.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could have done, and the severity of the fix.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to replace the gear shift shaft. It will be broken inside. Can be done without an engine split. You need to take the side casing off and the clutch basket off to do it. 

In the old days it was an engine split to do this. 

13 hours ago, fastbelly said:

Sounds like you need to replace the gear shift shaft. It will be broken inside. Can be done without an engine split. You need to take the side casing off and the clutch basket off to do it. 

In the old days it was an engine split to do this. 

With my 2013 GasGas I would have to dismantle/split the engine in such a case?

Hi Handyman, the problem may not be the shaft. At the right end of the shift shaft is a selector spring that sits over a sleeved washer with a pin through one end. I think this is called the selector positioner assembly in the parts book. The pin locates into the slot in the end of the shaft. When the gear lever takes a large knock, sometimes the sleeved washer is forcibly rotated and becomes out of alignment which then does not allow you to select gears in one direction usually. The assembly does not take too much to be out of alignment and may well look ok at first glance, the pin must be exactly in alignment with the integral tab that the spring ends locate onto. This is usually the first thing to go when you take a knock on the gear lever, worth having a look first before splashing out on a shaft. You can see this unit behind the clutch basket. Bye, Peter B.

13 hours ago, peterb said:

Hi Handyman, the problem may not be the shaft. At the right end of the shift shaft is a selector spring that sits over a sleeved washer with a pin through one end. I think this is called the selector positioner assembly in the parts book. The pin locates into the slot in the end of the shaft. When the gear lever takes a large knock, sometimes the sleeved washer is forcibly rotated and becomes out of alignment which then does not allow you to select gears in one direction usually. The assembly does not take too much to be out of alignment and may well look ok at first glance, the pin must be exactly in alignment with the integral tab that the spring ends locate onto. This is usually the first thing to go when you take a knock on the gear lever, worth having a look first before splashing out on a shaft. You can see this unit behind the clutch basket. Bye, Peter B.

was going to say the exact same thing.

The shaft is an easy fix, if its damaged in any way with the chain link thingies then even with straightening etc it wont be 100%.

I have now taken to filing the back of the lever even more than the slots there so in the event of an off or knock the lever breaks first.

will try to post later

I use a camel back sometimes and dont want loads of stuff clanking around in there. The gear lever was always in the air box at any trial any time. Bloody things were always falling off until I went oem again. Now I ride a Beta so not a problem. 

I use Loctite 680 Retaining Compound to "glue" my shift lever onto the shaft (since the shaft isn't grooved to hold the lever pinch bolt like are many other bikes). You'll need some heat to soften the compound if you later need to remove the lever (but there's nothing in the area that's an issue to be heated).

Edited by d2w