Campeon Kit

herman

Greetings, All-

I just found a campeon kit tank / seat the other day. The seat is toast, but I can get one from In Motion. The fiber glass is in incredibly good shape and after a Caswell coating and repaint, it should look great.

here's my question; If I use this on my 191 project, can I use the standard air box or would I have to acquire and earlier air box like on the early to mid 70's Sherpa T?

Or should I use this as an excuse to buy another older Sherpa T? ?

I haven't gotten the tank yet, so I don't know.

Thanks, Herman

• Like 1

Depending on which model the tank is from you may have to modify the tank unit to clear the frame.  The M80 and Series 1 M91 and M92 used the "early" frame style with reinforcing between the central post and the outer frame, the later series 2 M91 and M92 changed to have a more triangular frame by the footrests similar to your frame.  However from M159 the central post, where the airbox mounts, was removed and the engine mount points moved to a mount in the swingarm.  This could make mounting the early airbox tricky.

Additionally there will be no mounting points for the tank unit on the frame.  The slimline tanks mount using a stud on the frame near the headstock and mounting tabs on the rear sides of the frame.

• Like 2

Hi Herman,

Just happened to try this experiment today as I had a bare m159 frame and a couple of slimline tanks within easy reach.  

Sorry to report, the slimline will not fit onto the frame for the reasons rcgods stated.  The support tubes that form the triangle rc mentioned make solid contact with the bottom of the tank, preventing the tank from fully resting on the backbone of the frame. You'd have to significantly modify the bottom of the slimline by cutting out sections of the tank and re-working the fiberglass to accommodate for those support tubes... or cutting/re-shaping the tubes themselves to squeeze inward further and, even then, it might still not sit correctly once the seat base finally comes to rest against the subframe seat tubes. There might be additional shimming fore and aft to get it all to sit properly. Then, as mentioned, you'd still have to add the welded bolt near the steering tube and mounting tabs at the rear.  And who knows?... we're not even addressing pipe clearance once the tank has settled correctly into position.  Hate to ruin your idea but, as sweet as it might seem, it would certainly take a good deal of effort and skill to accomplish the task.  

That said, I do fully endorse your idea of this being a good excuse to buy another Sherpa T!  One for every day of the week should just about do it!

Cheers -

Christian

• Like 1