When do you guys stop doing this?

mmmexico

I have been riding and restoring trials bike for the past 25 years. The riding has never been very serious...some sand...some drop-offs...some small ledges to climb up...some rocks, etc...Not climbing up freezing streams or anything like that...all older and smaller bikes...TLR 200, TY 175...etc... nothing modern. For the past three years I have been out of commission. I've had some medical issues including a prostate surgery and I'm in the middle of some procedures on my eyes.

The day before yesterday I went out for a couple of shortish rides...in very warm weather I might say. I came home exhausted after probably 45 minutes of riding. Two days later I am still sore all over. I would have to stretch for at least 30 minutes if I wanted to go out today...At what point is it not worth it anymore? 

A broken hip doesn't seem like much fun...having the bloody bike fall on me is not an attractive proposition. I know that my reactions and balance are not the same as they were 20 years ago. I'm 76 right now and I've pretty much given up on tennis, but I can still jog and I get to the gym every so often...Any of you guys retired from riding?  At what age? How was your physical condition when you quit. Did your physical condition oblige you to quit. do you ride at all anymore? Street riding???

Any thought from you guys would be appreciated.

Mike

I came back to Trials 4 years ago after 40 years away. The last 3 years my knees and shoulders have continued to deteriorate along with arthritic hands. How long I can contunue, I don't know. But teaching my Daughter and Grandaughter helps to keep me going. I am in my 76th year. I also sometimes observe, having observed at the 2017 and 2018 UK World Trials and the Ladies & Girls Nationals plus the local trials.

• Like 2

I'm a 73 year old  ex pat Brit living in Australia for the last 40 years and still riding twinshock bikes in competition.

I felt good enough to ride the Isle of Man Manx Classic 2 day trial September last year but I think my enthusiasm exceeded my ability especially when the weather was the worst in the history of the event, cold rain, thick mist, high winds and thick mud, I wasn't comfortable !!!.

I crashed in a creek on the morning of the first day chipping the bone in my forearm, the nipple came off my front brake cable just after and when I pulled up at the first day lunch break the nipple came off my clutch cable as well. Both cables were fixed with solderless nipples but never felt the same and I lost confidence in them as well.

At the end of the first day I was in the Douglas hospital getting my arm checked out, not broken, so ok to ride the second day, surely the weather couldn't be as bad,,,,,,, but it was worse, front wheel was blocked solid with mud and the wheel wouldn't go round it was a real fun day but I made it to the end.

Realisation kicked in that I was no longer capable of riding a big trial like that again. !!!

Riding my first trial back in Australia I came off the bike and landed on the same forearm chipping the bone again in the same spot,

I've had a left hip replacement, laser eye surgery , cataracts removed, new lenses fitted, right shoulder reconstruction and recently carpal tunnel syndrome surgery on my right hand, and now fully fit again.

Rode a trial last weekend but came down a grade for an easier ride and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Give it away if you aren't enjoying it anymore, be aware of your own ablility and don't be stupid enough to tackle something where you could get hurt, play it safe   

• Like 3

I don't think it's a question of age determining when people stop riding. I know many people in their 70s and 80s whose general health and fitness is far above that of lots of 40 year olds. Put them on a trials bike and this would be proved. If the general fitness and will is there,  just keep riding. 

Sadly I can recall loads of super riders who stopped in their 20s/30s, through boredom, moving to enduros, financial constraints, family demands etc etc.

• Like 2

First time I quit, I was sixteen yrs old. Took out my left ACL. Started again at 23 when I got out of the Navy. Had a few short periods of not riding up to my 43rd birthday, tore my right ACL. I quit for two years. I was on and off again till I was 55. Been riding almost every event since then. Still ride Expert class at the local events, will be sixty in a few weeks. Cannot imagine quitting ever, till I`m dead.   

• Like 2

You gents give me hope.At 56 I can hopefully keep going as long as I can see and stand up.I figure as long as I can ride 20 minutes it is worth it.If I cannot compete oh well.Have a gent that is in his 70,s in our club.He comes to the meets on a street bike with a trailer.Has a older GG on trailer with rear fender built out of pop bottles.He beat me in intermediate which I thought was cool.He road careful,cool,and smooth.Don,t let the old man win as the man in black is coming no matter what.I hope to be riding like you men and not let fear dictate my life.Hope I make it to your level.

• Like 3