Wificom

sergioNMD

Hello all,

has anyone bought and experimented with the Athena Wificom for 2018/2019 Vertigo?

I was thinking about buying the device, as my 2019 Vertical 300 keeps running rich even on dry map, the spark plug gets sooty and overall the bike feels like it's running too rich at high revs (four stroking).

Air filter is always clean, tried different new spark plugs, fuel is 100 octane, fresh, 0,5%  Motul 800 oil.

Dealer says bike is ok, which is 99,5% true, but I was thinking about turning the "carburation " leaner with the Wificom device.

Any experience/advice? Thanks in advance!

I’ve used the Wificom to adjust the fuelling and ignition timing to achieve a set up I prefer over stock.  It also allows me to reset the throttle position sensor and check that the system and sensors are working correctly using the self diagnostics. Basically you can make the fuel/air ratio richer or weaker at different rev ranges and throttle openings to suit your riding style or the characteristics of your motor. You can only make adjustments when the bike is running.  I consider it a good investment and source of entertainment.

2 hours ago, lowbrow said:

I’ve used the Wificom to adjust the fuelling and ignition timing to achieve a set up I prefer over stock.  It also allows me to reset the throttle position sensor and check that the system and sensors are working correctly using the self diagnostics. Basically you can make the fuel/air ratio richer or weaker at different rev ranges and throttle openings to suit your riding style or the characteristics of your motor. You can only make adjustments when the bike is running.  I consider it a good investment and source of entertainment.

Very interesting.  That's the kind of informations I was looking for and couldn't find anywhere.

Off I go to spend my 260€ ?

Thank you @lowbrow

The wificom comes with limited instructions. There’s a video showing you how to install it on the Vertigo website but little or nothing about how to use it. I couldn’t find anything for the Vertigo on YouTube either but if you search for KTM or Husqvarna tpi bikes you’ll find plenty of stuff from North America showing you how it works.

53 minutes ago, lowbrow said:

The wificom comes with limited instructions. There’s a video showing you how to install it on the Vertigo website but little or nothing about how to use it. I couldn’t find anything for the Vertigo on YouTube either but if you search for KTM or Husqvarna tpi bikes you’ll find plenty of stuff from North America showing you how it works.

Yes, I've seen the promotional video from Vertigo but that's just that, a promotional video, I was hoping for an instruction manual to come with the device.  If that's not the case, you just gave me a very nice tip!

Thanks again @lowbrow

It doesn’t show you the maps but allows you to go up to + or -10% on the fuelling and similar in terms of degrees for the ignition timing. The app won’t let you do anything too radical which is intended to protect the motor. It is possible to make it run badly and I guess if you left it that way it for long enough it could be detrimental. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lowbrow said:

It doesn’t show you the maps but allows you to go up to + or -10% on the fuelling and similar in terms of degrees for the ignition timing. The app won’t let you do anything too radical which is intended to protect the motor. It is possible to make it run badly and I guess if you left it that way it for long enough it could be detrimental. 

Thanks!

Hello Sergio

If your Vertigo is running rich then your dealer which you purchased it from should sort the problem out

You shouldn't need to buy the WiFi unit to cure it!!

The dealer if he is any good, and he supposed to be if he has been chosen to distribute the bikes for Vertigo, test the bike with you and you can show him your richness problem, then he can sort it

I haven't heard of any Vertigo riders in the Uk having such a problem!!

regards

Stephen

Yes, @steviet you are correct.

My motorbike had a much bigger problem, which was fixed, several parts were changed under warranty after speaking with the aftersales department in Spain. 

Now the bike runs almost perfect and I figure it would be "part of the game" to fine tune it to make it run like I think it is the correct way. It's a learning process which I find very interestig and amusing.

But you are correct, I should not be forced to buy the tuning device... And I am not :-)  It's like a game to me, albeit an expensive one :-(

@tcrhino I only lightly spray with Motorex filter oil like I did for the past several years, so I doubt that could be the problem....

• 5 months later...

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2019 at 7:34 AM, sergioNMD said:

Hello all,

has anyone bought and experimented with the Athena Wificom for 2018/2019 Vertigo?

I was thinking about buying the device, as my 2019 Vertical 300 keeps running rich even on dry map, the spark plug gets sooty and overall the bike feels like it's running too rich at high revs (four stroking).

Air filter is always clean, tried different new spark plugs, fuel is 100 octane, fresh, 0,5%  Motul 800 oil.

Dealer says bike is ok, which is 99,5% true, but I was thinking about turning the "carburation " leaner with the Wificom device.

Any experience/advice? Thanks in advance!

bit of an old post but I will ask anyway - Did you resolve your richness issue? 
I noticed you said 0.5% (200:1) oil in your fuel - the manual states 0.75% (133:1) - what are your reasons for even less oil in your fuel? - I have just picked up a 2019 Vertical R and was surprised at how little oil they require compared to other brands.