Shifting - 1st to 2nd

al_orange

I know a lot of bikes have trouble going from first to second but my 2019 rr is almost guaranteed to go into neutral when changing from first to second in a section. I generally have to change up once to neutral and then again to second. It's ok when stationary but does take a firm up-shift to make it. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any tips to make this change a bit slicker? The clutch doesn't drag (much, if at all) but the bike only has 15 or so hours on it so maybe it'll bed in a bit? Would lowering the lever help do you think?

Ta. 

They shift fine. I would start over with the clutch adjustment to an over amount of free play. And what are you using for oil?  

PS. Most bikes do not have trouble shifting to second. Riders have trouble. I just rode an 80 mile two day event with 80 sections at over 11,000 ft elevation on my Beta 250. Not a single missed shift. Those were very hard single track miles. My son has no problems shifting his 2018 300 RR.   

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

They shift fine providing there's nothing wrong!

We had one that used to get hung up between 1st and 2nd, even with the engine off.

Turned out to be the bearing on the back of the selector drum not quite pressed home and made the selector drum tight.

If you strip the clutch and clutch casing off and remove the gearchange mechanism, you should be able to get a socket / nut driver on the end of the selector drum to see if it has free movement.

If its tight a good thwack with a mallet should hopefully seat the bearing without splitting the cases. I split mine so I could identify the fault.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, guy53 said:

Does it shift well from 2nd to 3rd and the other gear.

Guy

Yes, absolutely fine. It takes a positive change but never drops into a false neutral or anything. It just sort of feels like it takes a bit more effort than I would expect.

1 hour ago, crashmonkey said:

They shift fine providing there's nothing wrong!

We had one that used to get hung up between 1st and 2nd, even with the engine off.

Turned out to be the bearing on the back of the selector drum not quite pressed home and made the selector drum tight.

If you strip the clutch and clutch casing off and remove the gearchange mechanism, you should be able to get a socket / nut driver on the end of the selector drum to see if it has free movement.

If its tight a good thwack with a mallet should hopefully seat the bearing without splitting the cases. I split mine so I could identify the fault.

Hope this helps!

???

God I hope it's nothing like that.. I really like the bike to ride but there are a few niggles that are making the ownership a bit less enjoyable.

I use Rock Oil 75 Pro Gear oil and put in 300ml after a change. 

Maybe the clutch drags a bit. I had trouble with air in the line from delivery but it's been fine since then.. will have to have a look. 

12 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Does it shift better if you don't use the clutch?

I'll have a test today. I've not noticed any problems at all going up or down the box, only the fact that I end up double shifting to get in to second. I can find neutral pretty easily once the bike is warm. When it's cold, I can't physically move the lever into neutral with the engine running. 

54 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Can't you take it back to the dealer ? 

I could although it's a bit of a trek and I don't KNOW that there's actually something wrong but the comments on this thread point to that being the case. I may have to take it back for another issue so it would be worth mentioning. 

If you have to double shift it would be worth more than mentioning. I had a brand new Fantic section that would not shift to second straight out of the box. Split the cases, found nothing wrong except the blued shift fork from trying to shift. Reassembled and it was perfect. Waste of a day that was.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I just bought a 2017 TRS RR that has 50 hrs and is mint condition. The problem is that it will not shift into 2nd without pounding on the shifter and even then it only shift once in a while. If I am lucky enough to get it into 2nd then the gears from there up work fine and shifting down is not an issue. I have watched the Jim Snell videos and taken the shift mechanisms apart a few times. All the parts are in perfect shape but it appears the shift selector is hitting the shift shaft stop screw. There is now way to adjust this and it is not oval as on some other bikes. Any suggestions?

al_Orange

Start with looking at the position of the gear lever, if its too high then you will experience difficulty in selection. Is the lever binding on the case at the shaft? Is the lever bent? When did you first experience this problem as its a 2019(?) bike? Is the lever standard...not replaced with a shorter lever. Once on the move most riders ignore using the clutch as ‘dog boxes’ are designed for just such operation, with the exception of some circumstances ie longish downhill sections as an example. Before tearing the thing apart try changing gear 1st to 2nd without using the clutch and be firm in your use of the gear lever. The detent may be a possible cause as this might be creating excess pressure for some reason. You say you have trouble selecting neutral with a cold engine, have you rocked the bike back and forth whilst applying pressure on the lever in either up or down? 

5 hours ago, AlexR said:

I just bought a 2017 TRS RR that has 50 hrs and is mint condition. The problem is that it will not shift into 2nd without pounding on the shifter and even then it only shift once in a while. If I am lucky enough to get it into 2nd then the gears from there up work fine and shifting down is not an issue. I have watched the Jim Snell videos and taken the shift mechanisms apart a few times. All the parts are in perfect shape but it appears the shift selector is hitting the shift shaft stop screw. There is now way to adjust this and it is not oval as on some other bikes. Any suggestions?

Well pounding on the lever will probably bend a selector...not the way to go! Photos of your identified fouling problem would be helpful.

Edited by section swept

Thanks for the response. I juts bought the bike and its a 2017 with 50 hrs on it and the previous owner only rode it a few times. The shift mechanism is low and does not his case or sprocket. I have tried shifting with and without clutch, tried different oils and ripped apart internal shift mechanism as per the manual and Jim Snells fix videos. The internal shift stop bar appears to prevent the mechanism from moving enough to go from neutral to 2nd but there is no way to adjust that on this bike.