Fantic 300 Gear Shifting Issues.

fourex

Hello People, as above, I have always had probs with up shifting regardless of oil type(mainly 1st to 2nd). I've put up with it in the past but now want to try and resolve it, nothing dismantled yet until I know what I should be looking for, so your advice please.

Basically, gear shifting has always been notchy(up and down) and selecting 2nd gear from neutral is always fraught with danger as it almost always jumps back to neutral after applying load, changing from 1st to 2nd mid-section is also out of the question as I never know if it's going to hold 2nd, in both these mentioned situations 2nd gear has felt like it engaged ok via the foot but has jumped to neutral at the most inopportune times.  If I need 2nd gear somewhere in a section, then I have to go to 3rd and bring it down to 2nd to be confident it's engaged, bloody frustrating!  

So, hoping someone with more experience then myself might be able to tell me what to check for when I dismantle, a scratchy parts diagram is attached.

Fantic 300.jpg

Edited by fourex

Been a year or two since I stripped a Fantic motor, it was not the easiest to get the crank cases apart and only split in one direction, I don't remember which way but just wanted to make you aware. The selector forks looked sturdy, I'd be inclined to see if you are getting sufficient selector drum rotation as you change gear. There is a selector plate that has a rotational travel stop, have a look to see that there is enough travel available to move the drum to select each gear. Have a look to see if there is a spring loaded device used as an indexing locator, this could be a problem. Failing these, check the selector forks are straight. Fantics have a well made gearbox. Bye, Peter B.

• Like 2

Thanks b40rt and peterb for your thoughts, I'm not confident in splitting this thing myself now, having never split any engine apart before. Might seek advice from my local Trials community as to who might be able to help, any suggestions bullylover or feetupfun or any one else around South East Queensland Australia ?

PS: I know that George Mc is out of action so don't want to bother him.

Edited by fourex
PS added.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have never had a Fantic in half before. I have had the primary case off a 240 Pro before though. I`m putting a couple of Husqvarna MX motors back together at the moment. That is fun as I don`t have a manual and both of them were in bits when they were given to me. The Fantics can`t be too hard though. Cheers Graham.

• Thanks 1