Tips

Ryanbuglass2007

I started last October and I have found the videos on You Tube to be helpful.  There are a number of sources but the channel "Learn to ride trials" has some good stuff.  The key thing is balance and you need to master that - I am still working on it but much improved.  If you want to balance you need to spend time practising balance.  I have the bike at work and try to get fifteen minutes in most days - engine off and just stand on the bike.  I have just now cracked full lock turns so it is paying off.

• Like 2

I have been riding regularly for around 3 years now and feel that my riding and technique has improved in that time. My two bits of advice for what it's worth are 1) make sure you ride a suitable bike as many new riders buy something that's too big for them and 2) ride it as often as you can. 

I agree with the previous posts about watching videos etc as there is some brilliant stuff on the net but there is no substitute for time spent either practising or competing. 

Good luck and enjoy yourself.... 

You live in the right part of the world if you want to ride trials.  250 cc max. Get as good a bike as you can.  "Doer uppers ", can cost more than you bargained for. Join a club & find out where your local practice area is.   There will always be someone willing to offer advice. Most clubs run summer series, evening & easy trials during the good weather. That's the best time to enter the competition fray.  Get an ACU card  for £12, or pay £3 more on the day. Entry fees about £15, sometimes a few pounds more if a charity trial. Trials often get a bit harder in winter. If you have built up some confidence at the local practice area, see if you can tag along with someone for your first event. They will show you the ropes, signing on, talk you through the sections , how to read the flags, etc, etc. Your first trial will go so much better if you have an experienced rider to take you through it. First one will be an eye opener, but will give you a buzz & hopefully the enthusiasm to carry on. Try to ride as often as you can. Proper trials make you attempt things you hadn't expected, so you will make better progress in real events. Practice area stuff great, but you need to push your limits.    

n.b don't ride your bike up & down outside your house unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Be discreet. Keep it out of the way.  Wash it off round the back if you can. If possible buy, or get the use of a van. Don't advertise the fact that you have an offroader. This is a sign of the times I'm afraid.   

I'm just moving to clubman from novice but my advice is - Work on Static Balance (engine off) in your garden/garage asap. Get to the point you can balance on both sides for more than 5 minutes with normal pressures (6f/4r). This shouldn't take very long and will greatly increase your learning of all other skills. 

Use the search function here to find all the tips but basically, start with very low tyre pressures and full lock. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, al_orange said:

... Get to the point you can balance on both sides for more than 5 minutes with normal pressures (6f/4r). This shouldn't take very long ...

Can you show me - it is taking me too long ?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

Can you show me - it is taking me too long ?

I found it hardest to get to a decent 10-20 seconds, then from there work to a minute, then it was fairly easy to get through a song (put the radio on), then as long as I can be bothered (which is when my feet start to hurt on the pegs). The hardest part is staying focused - I found. 

Get out there daily or every other day for 10-30 minutes at a time. Keep it fresh and don't get upset when you don't succeed. Drop the tyres to 4f/1r to start with. Again, search on here for tips. It's so worth the effort - but don't beat yourself up!