Boots again

Robert n

My deadora stone 2 have just about had it   So it’s time to get some new  I’m thinking alpine star or sidi   Iv been reading your views on the boots really fancyd the gearne but not sure if the sole would be too soft for me  Iv got flat feet that are wide fitting  I do like to have feel but it hurts my arches pretty quick  any advice thanks 

Been wearing sidi zero one for a couple of years, very hard wearing, not waterproof, but most importantly, offer the same protection even when saturated. All leather boots I've had in the past become very soft when wet. In most makes I go up one size for sealskins etc, up two sizes for sidi.

1 hour ago, Robert n said:

do you find them comfy  and how much can you feel the pegs after a while thanks 

Take a bit of breaking in, good boots do ?  Fine after a couple of hours. Never felt pegs, but mine are not the bed of nails type. 

• Like 1

I have had three pairs of Stone 2's with no complaints.. Now have A stars, which are following the current trend & morphing into fancy ankle boots. Got a friend who is extremely tall & he swears by Forma Boulder Trials Boot. 

Heard good repo's from Sidi too.

Ex Nato Sealskins off T'interweb best option to keep feet dry (ish).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert n said:

Iv been and tried on the gearne  just to see wow how comfy are they  i dont know if thats a bad thing but comfy 

They are mega comfy but don't offer a huge amount of support. They fit wide feet well and are sized accurately I think - I wear a 9 in trainers and 9 in boots. In terms of peg feel, I've never noticed while wearing but when static balancing in trainers, my pegs hurt my feet after about 10 mins so they must be ok. The soles don't seem to last too well though. They are waterproof but stink after a few months because of sweat. 

• Like 1

Have a pair of the Alpinestars and also have flat feet. (Though I am not sure how mine would compare to yours... )

I like the protection they provide and the stiffer sole than the Gearne’s.  The new Alpinestars are a touch narrower than the originals in the same size but not much and find them a more true to size fit.

They don’t cause me any pain though there was some brak-in time as they are stiffer than Gearne’s overall.

hope that helps...

• Like 1

Didn't finish my previous post,I have wide feet too,but I've never found any make of boot too narrow.My Hebos are still protective when wet,more so than any others I've had.The soles on Hebo and Forma have a hard insert On the arch so the pegs don't wear through them but slightly reduces the feel.I would buy either brand again,but the Hebos need more breaking in

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Have a pair of the Alpinestars and also have flat feet. (Though I am not sure how mine would compare to yours... )

I like the protection they provide and the stiffer sole than the Gearne’s.  The new Alpinestars are a touch narrower than the originals in the same size but not much and find them a more true to size fit.

They don’t cause me any pain though there was some brak-in time as they are stiffer than Gearne’s overall.

hope that helps...

I really fancied the alpinestars but the local trials shop said they had stopped selling them due to people complaining about the quality of the new modes tearing and looking shabby quick