Trials awards.

walkertrials

22 minutes ago, crashmonkey said:

Don't get me wrong I love trials.

But its a minority sport with no money, that is boring as hell to watch and pretty inaccessible to most.

I find trials very boring unless your taking part, then its great!

Its a lot easier to pop down and try your hand at snooker or darts!

At club level maybe.  However the indoor X-Trial is certainly worth watching.  Many years ago I took a friend to watch at Sheffield.  She tagged along with us blokes but I think was anticipating a boring evening (we had to reciprocate and watch Rocky Horror Show a while later - now you want to talk about boring) Her boyfriend liked motorbikes but she had no interest at all.

After looking at the obstacles trying to figure it out she asked.  "from there to there"?  "really"? She sat open mouthed through the whole thing. A great evening was had by all.

If you could just get people to go in the first place.  (I did pay for the tickets on that occasion)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, walkertrials said:

I agree Intotrials it is percieved as being boring but so are snooker & darts and many others but they seem to get plenty of TV time, in my area we have had two new groups of riders take up trials one from Enduro & one from MX the MX riders can't believe what the experts can get over and the Enduro group say they wasted 10 years of their lives before trials so we must doing something right.

The difference being that snooker, darts and similar sports appeal to a far greater audience. My Gran used to sit and watch both and enjoyed them, no chance of getting her to watch trials!

I agree, you find some MX riders and most Enduro riders either ride trials themselves or enjoy it as a sideline and/or training. But I know many MX riders who think trials is a waste of time, boring and pointless. Obviously I don't agree and try to get them to see the skill and benefits from riding trials for all forms of motorcycle sports. trials just dosent seem to appeal to the vast majority and certainly not to the general public spectators. 

27 minutes ago, Intotrials said:

The difference being that snooker, darts and similar sports appeal to a far greater audience. ..

People really are weird aren't they?  Why would you watch snooker?  Or some fat bloke throwing darts?  They are not all that interesting if you play them (good excuse for a beer though).

Bou throwing a bike up a two metre vertical block of stone then bouncing on the back wheel?  Somehow that is boring?

There's no hope for the non motorcycling part of humanity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

People really are weird aren't they?  Why would you watch snooker?  Or some fat bloke throwing darts?  They are not all that interesting if you play them (good excuse for a beer though).

Bou throwing a bike up a two metre vertical block of stone then bouncing on the back wheel?  Somehow that is boring?

There's no hope for the non motorcycling part of humanity.

I agree, but we could sit there and say that about all sorts of things in life. I find cricket, fishing, gardening, tv soaps... boring and pointless. Even F1 is boring to watch these days yet still attracts massive revenue and audiences. 

For some reason or another in bewilderment to us trials fans the majority of people find it boring and pointless. What I will say is, I always watch the indoor and outdoor world rounds and have attended many over the years, but I can see why people in general could find it monotonous at times. 

My wife doesn't understand the appeal either she always comments when I put it on to watch with "why do you watch this s***t" I always reply with "the same reason you watch soaps". She will not come and watch any trial I ride in, she just says "go play on your big boy toy but leave me out of it, boring" Maybe this opinion is shared by the majority of people?    

• Confused 1

Trials goes against modern culture where everything has to be seen and easy.

Trials is a killer to get half decent at let alone good and it takes ages,also there's little recognition and no praise.

It's for those who value the effort rather than the result,

I think deep down all seasoned Trials riders know this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Intotrials said:

My wife doesn't understand the appeal either she always comments when I put it on to watch with "why do you watch this s***t" I always reply with "the same reason you watch soaps". She will not come and watch any trial I ride in, she just says "go play on your big boy toy but leave me out of it, boring" Maybe this opinion is shared by the majority of people?    

I don't like your wife ?

• Like 2

At the Amca Midlands Area championship, summer and winter championships. The winner of each class (4 classes) would normally receive a trophy and a new rear tyre or similar to the value of approx 100 quid. 2nd place something around 50 and 3rd 25, generally.  Usually each championship around 9 or ten rounds. 

• Like 2

I don't know the details but at our last club meeting I was told the ACU fees have gone up (our entry fee has not).  I would think any return of money to the riders is therefore less likely now if I am honest. 

Edited by ChrisCH

On 8/28/2019 at 8:20 AM, ChrisCH said:

At club level maybe.  However the indoor X-Trial is certainly worth watching.  Many years ago I took a friend to watch at Sheffield.  She tagged along with us blokes but I think was anticipating a boring evening (we had to reciprocate and watch Rocky Horror Show a while later - now you want to talk about boring) Her boyfriend liked motorbikes but she had no interest at all.

I see you weren't trembling with antici……….pation.