Bike choice for brand new rider?

SuperSquid

3 hours ago, SuperSquid said:

Thanks for the help everyone. I am up north in Bonner county. About 60 miles south of Canada. I found a club in Spokane, WA that I might try to check out. It’s a couple hours away so I should be able to do it. Really appreciate everyone’s help and offers. 

You just missed a good event just north of the border.

YMIR Trial 2019 (9).docx

• 4 weeks later...

On 9/4/2019 at 6:07 PM, rcgods said:

Beta Evo 200 is the perfect beginner bike.  Plenty enough power for any rider, UK only though so you would struggle to get one.  Go for a Beta Evo 250.  I had a Sherco 290 as my first bike and it was evil.  Even "tamed" by having a slow throttle, retarded ignition and altered gearing it was a horrid thing to ride.  The Evos are so soft and nice to ride.  We do get a slightly different spec in the UK with a heavier flywheel to cope with UK conditions.  I believe you can add the weight to other models though.

That's interesting. I went to a Sherco 290 from a GasGas 250 - I didn't find it a big step at all and certainly never considered trying to "tame" it. When I went to a Beta 300 from the Sherco the 300 definitely inspired considerable respect! A far bigger jump than 250 to 290. After a couple of weeks I came to terms with the 300, but certainly still give it a healthy level of respect!