Bing Slide Repair

motovita

The carb slide in my 199A is badly peened where it contacts the idle speed screw, I can't elevate the slide enough for a strong idle before the idle screw bottoms out in the carb body. I haven't found a new slide here in the USA and I'm not sure I can get one from the UK in time for the next meet. The slide is in good shape other than the contact spot with the idle screw. Has anyone repaired a slide like mine? I'm thinking I could thread a small brass screw into the slide to give a new surface for the idle screw to contact would give me back my idle adjustment. I'm guessing the slide might be plated zinc, or somesuch metal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me, or a US source for a new slide?

I'll also be looking into a replacement carb, I want to stay somewhat period correct so I don't want an OKO or similar flat slide. 

Edited by motovita

Parts for bing carbs have got very difficult to get that is true!

And I know your dilemma, have gone through that by myself, what I did was get i functional Bing and a second replacemnet with better habits (Dell'Orto PHBH) for riding, now I can go back to the route of the original path in need.

If you are interested I can give you (via PM) a ressource for Bing carbs which can sell you a new slide or even a brand new Bing carb either from German production (expensive) or made under licence in Spain with 28mm, albeit the last ones have the fuel supply on the "wrong" side other than that 100% original.

hS1Wzcpt8cOkDncoiv0dJW5UidSXzmF30eijCo5B

There are guys in Germany that make slide out of brass to the Bing carbs of their twinshock Enduros and MX bikes here with enhanced design for better air flow and too to have more weight as more weight the slide have as less flutter will happen.I can proviode you with their adresses too, but that production will take time ...

Last not Least the mentioned 28 or 26mm Dell'Orto even wih Malossi transparent plastic bowl is time correct, with 26mm the bike rides very good, with 28mm more agressive.

Announcement of te Malosse plastic bowl in 1981 (mounted on a Dell'Orto PHBH):

9URn0seBrz4twbkjku9LMgKjg_uDrngmcIny21pd

-EH2YuLjjfuURSeTECZjzvz1MbDemYL64uObXf1m

rpqK6bTycz7_Lr7ZP033KAKuK3hIXEA_L9QXzoQF

Edited by pschrauber
Forgot to mention
  • Like 2

And no the answewr to the silde repair,
I would suggest to try out to use metal kned which has the properties of Aluminium.

ToDo:
1. clean the slide,
2. the Surface where you want to apply have to be rough, (Dremel)
3. clean the surfaces again from any oil,
4. kned the two component of the metacl kned,
5. allpy where in need,
6. mill and grind away excessive material, (the properties are like aluminium).

Brand: https://www.ebay.de/i/302159123726

• Like 3

Sling the Bing !!!.  Old carbs are old school & invariably worn out.  Mine came with a Dellorto which is OK , but could be better. I am told Mikuni works best, especially during hot conditions. Keihin also has good reports, but will liven things up a fair bit..  

I'd like to hear from anyone who's fitted a Mikuni to a late model Sherpa T as to how they did it. I took some measurements and found that the Mikuni is to short to span between the rubber intake and airbox boots. The necessary cylinder boot is stepped to two different diameters so I can't simply fit a longer hose, and the airbox boot is flanged at the airbox end so again not a simple hose swap. The carbs are readily available and affordable but I haven't found anyone who offers a ready to install kit.

• Dislike 1

On 9/2/2019 at 11:27 PM, b40rt said:

Fabricate a longer idle screw ?

A longer screw won't help, the tip of the screw contacts the carb body in the venturi and stops. I was able to remove a small amount of metal where the screw makes contact and get nearly one more turn on the screw. I'll try that and see how it works.

2 hours ago, carl ekblom said:

You need the

Correct intake rubber

Carb,

Throttle cable Mikuni/Amal to Domino (assuming you have the Domino throttle) 

Air filter for 199B. Also good for 199A. Others I don´t know

Inmotiontrials should be able to supply the parts needed

I have that setup. Have you been able to stretch the airbox hose enough to secure it to the carb? Mine comes up a bit short, I wonder if my air filter hose is shorter than current production, it may be an original Bultaco 199B part.

OK at 199A. Should be OK also at 199B. My filters are later production from Inmotiontrials. Little bending is required to make them fit inside airbox. As you say, a good narrow clamp is needed at the carb intake, I remember that a wide clap caused some problem

https://www.inmotiontrials.com/product/bultaco-sherpa-199b-air-filter-on-hose/

• Like 1