Alpina poor running

mick annick

I have a 350 Alpina 213, history unknown but supposedly restored; it’s still got the original Bing carb.

The bike starts after a few kicks but not with the choke - won’t start if you use it. More of an issue, though possibly related, is if I drop down to first for any difficult bits (I use it for greenlaning here) the motor doesn’t respond to the throttle, dies and won’t restart unless I give it a long bump.

I’ve had the carb apart and cleaned it as best I can, air filter cleaned and oiled, and plug changed, though no further work done yet - any suggestions? I assume it’s running the original ignition setup but haven’t had the side off to check.

• 3 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, mick annick said:

Icehopper

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner, stripped and cleaned the carb and it’s much better though won’t tickover unless the screw is right in. I’m trying to get some new jets at the moment.

Mick

A new slide will likely fix your idle issue.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, motovita said:

A new slide will likely fix your idle issue.

Seconded, a new slide off of bultaco uk will do the Job. I had exact same issue. 

Bing carbs slide is made of the same material as the body and they wear out, you end up with a horse shoe worn in the engine side of the slide ?

Edited by WJSmith