70s Bultaco, Montesa or Ossa?

stpauls

I have been considering getting a Spanish twin shock, from the 70s, to ride Twinshock Trials.  Which make is likely to be the most reliable?  Usable?  Trouble free?  Spares availability?  Anything else?

Any comments and advice welcome and appreciated. 

Edited by stpauls

Spares availability is best with Bultaco by a country mile. All the Spanish twinshocks are great to ride but there are big differences in how they feel so you may have a preference depending on what you like a bike to be like to ride. My favourites to ride are any late model Bultaco and the Cota 348

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would say as a period machine the TY250 is by far the best option with superb spares availability. (not that you will need many). I had a Montesa UKR in my youth which has fond memories. In terms of outright performance a 325 Bulto was the one to have. 

• Like 1

Buy the best you can find without going OTT £££ keep a bit back for things you will need.

Which one to choose I think depends on what you find that appeals most but I would look for one that has not been messed about with and apart from possibly modern footrest and maybe lower gearing  keep it that way. Because of wear a new carb or electronic ignition might be needed but these parts are bolt keep all the original bits and have fun with your bike.

35 minutes ago, trialsrfun said:

Buy the best you can find without going OTT £££ keep a bit back for things you will need.

Which one to choose I think depends on what you find that appeals most but I would look for one that has not been messed about with and apart from possibly modern footrest and maybe lower gearing  keep it that way. Because of wear a new carb or electronic ignition might be needed but these parts are bolt keep all the original bits and have fun with your bike.

I would  say good rear shocks and tyres should also be on the shopping list. 

Bultacos are a way more reliable then Montesas, Montesas have issues here and there.

Ossa's do well if once rebuild properly, but to get the parts is a problem, while Bultaco parts are easy to get, second best is Montesa.

Try to get a runner wich is in very orignial state, These are best, even if a bit more expensive you pay around 4 times as much for a replacement spare part then to a part bolted to or on a bike! 

• Like 2

See, I'd go for a Bultaco because they're well sexy.  We got a Montesa for silly reasons but despite it's shortcomings I love the stupid thing

Also ditto on getting a currently running complete bike, that can't be emphasise enough!  Even if it needs a rebuild at least you know what you're getting

Bultaco best for spares and reliability, Ossa arguably the best Spanish trials bike but spares getting hard to come by, Montesa poor spares availability and a bit of a Marmite bike you either love them or hate them. Me if i had to choose Spanish then i'd buy an Ossa but given a free choice then it would be a TY 250 or even better a Majesty.

• Like 3

I recently recently rode my 1974 Yamaha in a major classic and was surprised how good it was... I have a 325 Bultaco fettled by the Puma and its great, but the softness , nice steering and ease of riding  really made me think. In fact I rode round with Mick A on an Ossa, and he waxed lyrical about the Yamaha,  and I think he wished he was riding it instead.. Depending on your level, I would agree with OTF above..  maybe Bultaco over Ossa only because I have never owned an OSSA but a mid seventies Yamaha would tick many boxes.

• Like 3