new build bike

on it

i build a new bike = dose  frame and bike need to be homologated or safety checked like a kit car check to compete in a acu event for insurance purpose or will i just be covered when i enter a trial with it 

1 hour ago, on it said:

i build a new bike = dose  frame and bike need to be homologated or safety checked like a kit car check to compete in a acu event for insurance purpose or will i just be covered when i enter a trial with it 

The majority of twin shocks and pre65's probably fall into this category, New heard of one being checked. If you want to cover your posterior get it mot'ed, can be done on frame number if no v5.

I confirm that the machine(s) as described below which I shall participate on shall be suitable and proper for the purpose. I confirm that I am eligible to compete on the machines for which I have entered.

From entry form declaration that we all read? and sign at each trial.

Basically onus is on you for the machine to be safe - the club may check that it complies with the trials regs  -ie not on knobblies etc but from a safety point of view its a self certification. If there is something glaringly obviously dangerous then the C of C can exclude you/ask you to stop riding etc 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

I confirm that the machine(s) as described below which I shall participate on shall be suitable and proper for the purpose. I confirm that I am eligible to compete on the machines for which I have entered.

From entry form declaration that we all read? and sign at each trial.

Basically onus is on you for the machine to be safe - the club may check that it complies with the trials regs  -ie not on knobblies etc but from a safety point of view its a self certification. If there is something glaringly obviously dangerous then the C of C can exclude you/ask you to stop riding etc 

what it is im doing a electric bike but who says the bike is eligible to use , if unsafe i wont be riding it ! and why i ask seen it happen with J  Bliss pit bike so before ii gets to far I want the facts

37 minutes ago, stpauls said:

What about using an EM electric motor in, say, an old 125 Bantam twinshock frame?  Eligible for pre 65?  Twinshock?

If you use a pre-65 electric motor instead of a pre-65 petrol motor it would be hard to argue against riding in pre-65 class but you didn't ask that.

If you could hide a modern EM electric motor inside a pre-65 petrol motor and hide the cells inside a pre-65 fuel tank, then it would meet the eligibility criteria for pre-65 where I live.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

If you could hide a modern EM electric motor inside a pre-65 petrol motor and hide the cells inside a pre-65 fuel tank, then it would meet the eligibility criteria for pre-65 where I live.

A bit like using a Suzuki piston and a fantic clutch and cylinder head on  bantam ..... ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, feetupfun said:

If you use a pre-65 electric motor instead of a pre-65 petrol motor it would be hard to argue against riding in pre-65 class but you didn't ask that.

BSA did build an electric trials bike, there's a picture of it with Jeff Smith riding :thumbup: 

(See: Don Morley’s BSA singles book)

• Like 1