Sherco ST 2016 steering head bearing adjustment?

stpauls

It's a feel thing adjusting taper roller bearings.

Adjust them so there is a slight amount of drag with the top yoke off, when everything is tightened back up the wheel should stay pointing straight until given a light push but shouldn't take any real effort to move

On 9/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, guy53 said:

Remember, you sometime get confuse by the play on the front brake. Make sure that what you feel come from the bearing.

Guy

I had considered if it was the loose pads and floating disc that were giving me that bit of movement/sensation.  I am still unsure.

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

Mine's road registered and so I have to get it MOT'd every year. The tester reckoned the head bearings were a little loose, so after leaving it for a month or two I finally got around to taking a look...

Turns out the nut that tightens everything above the upper yoke had cracked right through; it's only alloy.

Got a new one and then realised I didn't have a C spanner to tighten up the headrace nut under the upper yoke. I improvised with an old wooden clothes peg and a mallet!

All sorted now.