Yamaha ty250a

Les56

Hi I’ve been doing up 1974 ty 250 last couple of years and come to the tyre part, not sure which way to go, original rims, but would like a road legal tyre if possible.

Would like to put on x11’s but not sure about trimming off locating bead on tyre any help welcome 

I've got a KT 250 with original DID rims and the tubeless tire kept coming off, (front and rear). I used a sanding disc on an angle grinder and removed the tubeless sealing lip from the tire bead and no more problem.

The bead land on the rims I have is small (narrow) and the seal lip sat on the radius to the spoke valley, so when the pressure was less than 30 psi it pulled the bead off the seat.

My suggestion is to try unmodified first and go from there.

As far as using a tube in a tubeless tire, No problem at all. The biggest difference I can find is that the tubeless tire has a lip on the inside edge of the bead to seal against the small ridge at the inside edge of the bead seat of a tubeless rim.

Edited by still trying
forgot to add a bit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The TY250A when standard has a different rear rim to other TY250 twinshocks. X11 tubeless tyres usually stay on TY250A bead seats. The bead seats on the A model are wide and it is also a wider rim than the later TY250s. The A model is the 434 model.

Many other 1970s era tube type rear rims can give problems with X11 tubeless tyres though. The standard KT rear rim is the worst I've had for fitting an X11 tubeless, but if you do what "still trying" says, the X11 will stay on the KT rim bead seats nicely.

The IRC tube type rear is fine on any of the old rear rims but where I live it is very hard to buy them, so I buy Michelin X11.

• Thanks 1