Mitas Tyres any good for clubman

rick1962uk

hi new back to trials at the moment just going to do some praticing but later will do a few events starting easy route and work my way up but will need a new set of tyres x11 seem ott but im sure worth it are the mitas any good as a pair are only just over £100  use to use mt43 and liked those

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere the Mitas tyres weren't approved for trials use. Something to do with the block pattern/spacing. MT43 are used nowadays for trail riding/greenlaning, way too stiff compared to Michelin or IRC

Edited by petert

Mitas has stiff carcass and low aspect ratio. When they first came out, I bought one, tried it on a modern trials bike for a few minutes and then on a twinshock trials bike for a few minutes and then gave it away. The only place they grip is on a smooth, hard surface

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like everyone else I used Michelins, with an X Light on the rear.  Last autumn I changed to IRC on the rear, as they had apparently fixed the issue of the tyre instantly deflating as soon as it hit something hard..  It was fine for 9 months, until during the last few trials it has gone flat when hitting rocks, stones or stumps.  This used to be a problem with brand new IRCs, but they fixed the issue.  Anyone else finding IRCs now deflating after a number of months?

Had enough of IRCs deflating and spoiling my results, so I fitted a new X Light last night.  Not quite so good in slippery, muddy conditions as IRC but more reliable.

Best stick with Michelin.

Update - March 2020: 7 months after fitting the Michelin it still holds it's pressure, with no leaks, proving that it was the IRC tire, not the wheel rim or valve.

The IRC is now on my twinshock, with a tube in it.

Edited by stpauls

• 5 months later...