Metal Sherpa Tank Badges?

nzpeterb

My Model 27 Sherpa has metal tank badges fitted. I have just removed them to repair and paint the tank, and would like to fit new metal badges.

I am sure I previously found someone selling new metal badges on the web, but have been unable to find them again. All the sites I checked just have the vinyl adhesive badges.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction to someone who sells the metal badges?

Mine are pictured below.

Regards,

Peter. 

Tank Badges.jpg

Hi Peter. I look around on the internet a lot for Bultaco trials stuff and I have never seen any metal tank badges for sale. I didn`t even know the M27`s had metal badges. I resprayed an M49 a few months ago and it had plastic ones on it. I don`t know if they were original or not but they look correct. Good luck. Graham.

• Like 1

Graham,

Thanks for the reply. Looks like the aluminium badges were only on the early Bultacos. My M27 has them fitted but an M49 uses the resin ones.

I now have identified two sources for the aluminium badges. If others are looking for them these are:

www.recambiousado.com

www.motosdelabuelo.com 

There may be other sellers.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if there was a change but we can only go on what we find. I have searched the web and some unrestored M27's appear to have the aluminium badges and others just have the decals. 

My tank has the metal badges and these were obviously still on the tank when it was repainted to look the same as an M49.

Is your M27 running?

Regards,

Peter. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, nzpeterb said:

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Not sure if there was a change but we can only go on what we find. I have searched the web and some unrestored M27's appear to have the aluminium badges and others just have the decals. 

My tank has the metal badges and these were obviously still on the tank when it was repainted to look the same as an M49.

Is your M27 running?

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi,

yes my M27 is all running and never touched since it left the factory. 

BA37A8DF-C21A-4FD1-AFAD-845D71048C92.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Your bike is looking good. Unfortunately mine needs to be restored before it can be used, as it has suffered too many modifications in the hands of previous owners.

I now have most parts I can identify are needed before I start, but I am sure there will be more once I start dismantling.

Focus at the moment is repairing the tank which had part of the tunnel removed, plus a couple of extra holes cut in the bottom. These were then patched with aluminium and a resin that is not compatible with the original. At present I am cutting and peeling the repair layers off to get back to the original tank. 

Regards,

Peter

Tank - Reduced.jpg

• Like 1

That's a real mess Peter, good luck with fixing the tank. I've only ever needed to deal with metal tanks so I'll be interested to see how you get on

Have you ever worked with fibreglass before? I'm about to have my first go at doing a fibreglass repair on the inner guard/airbox on the CZ sidepipe mx bike I'm restoring at the moment, I'm glad it's only rebuilding 1 of the mounting sections rather than being cosmetic or sealing a tank like you're doing

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I have no experience with repairing fibreglass but am getting advice from someone who works with it every day.

What I have learnt so far is that there are a number of different epoxies and polyesters.

On my tank the wrong filler has been used which means it hasn't cured properly, resulting in the tank leaking.

The previous owner fixed this by adding more filler until the tank no longer fitted over the frame tube.

Luckily the incompatible filler softens (and the original fibreglass doesn't) by using a heat gun so first task is cutting and peeling the repairs off.

regards,

Peter 

• Like 1