Service

Robert n

Hi been looking for oil and filters for my 300rr noticed the gearbox wants 540 ml and they come in bottles of 1000 ml  does anyone just do 500 to get two out of a bottle with it need changing so oftern or is that two dodgy  what oils do you all recommend thanks 

I shop around for the best deals ‘cos prices do vary significantly. I keep a small stock so the 540ml doesn’t really become an issue. I stick with the recommended gear oil (plenty of alternative views on the forum tho’)

From a usage perspective, you are asking if you can save the cost of 40ml of oil. At say 22 quid a litre you’ll save 88p....?

I am planning a - pre Brexit - bulk panic buy when I remember to do so ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

460ml for the engine, 540ml in gearbox = 1 litre of 10w40 fully synthetic bike oil. Motul factory line is good. Clutch is crap and draggy until its properly warm, but eliminates the horrible judder and grabbyness that the thin stuff gives when it's really hot and upto temp. Depends how hard you ride it. Elf is probably better if your not abusing it too much

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert n said:

Yeah it’s not a lot when you look at it that way I’m just being tight 

Pulling your leg (the 40ml over p****s me off too). I feel, don’t go cheap on the oil and don’t mix oils (different brands or old and new) as far as you can anyway.

jrsunt I’m sure knows what works...

Interestingly, I was looking for an alternative to the Showa fork oil and the Motul Factory line is pretty close in spec

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Reggie said:

Pulling your leg (the 40ml over p****s me off too). I feel, don’t go cheap on the oil and don’t mix oils (different brands or old and new) as far as you can anyway.

Interestingly, I was looking for an alternative to the Showa fork oil and the Motul Factory line is pretty close in spec

Glad its not just me 40ml isnt much but might matter 

8 hours ago, Johnny Reggie said:

I really like the Red Line suspension fluid when I changed the oil on my 07 4RT.  https://www.redlineoil.com/suspension-fluids

I went down to 2.5 in both the front and had the rear done with the same to remove some of the sluggishness of the 07's Showa suspension of that year.   Worked a treat!  

For fork oil. Take a look at the cst measures at 40 degrees. You’ll see the Showa ss05 recommended for Showa front end is ~15 cst, as is the Motul racing line Very Thin 2.5w. Jonnyc21’s Like Water is thinner, their 2.5w comes in at 8cst. Don’t look at the manufacturers weight rating (SAE 5, 2.5 etc), look at the cst measure.

Goggle it and you’ll find spec comparison tables...

You have Tech forks, OJ-01 recommended oil, about the same at 15cst@40degrees. But you can find alternatives by the same method ??

• Thanks 1