Beta Rev 80 surging at 50% throttle or more

Oddemann

Hello, I have a Beta Rev 80 which is surging/cutting out at high throttle/WOT. It is stalling for amoment, then picks up before stalls again..

I have cleaned carburettor and nozzles, i have checked float level, tried changing needle positions, changed gasoline and ensured fuel supply is ok. Changed spark plug. Checked air filter.

I have no idea what can be the problem. I have not checked ignition timing, i dont even know how the ignition works.

Any tips wold be appreciated, i still suspect the carburettor float or similar.
Regards Oddemann

Edited by Oddemann

Carb off and clean, tube attached to fuel inlet, gently blow using mouth into tube. Hold carb upside down, repeat blowing action....you should feel resistance to your air pressure.

Float bowl off, repeat using a finger to gently lift float up....I’m guessing the float is attached to the carb and not sited in the bowl.... and lower the float allowing air in and stopping as you move the float. If the float is bowl sited then make sure any guide posts allow the float to move up and down smoothly. You will need to find actual height setting specs from the manufacturers manual. 

If the crankshaft oil seals are worn then this will allow a loss of crankcase compression and mixture which will affect engine performance and this is where I would be looking. If you can pull the crankshaft in and out by much then you may have worn main bearings which will load the oil seals more causing fairly rapid lip scoring. This will allow both air in and out while the engine is running.

As a final few points to check as you seem to have covered most everything else, poor compression, badly worn cylinder bore, partial seizing...oil mix ratio+cooling issues. All can create similar symptoms to yours as described?

• Thanks 1