The perenial alloy hubs

Fanny B

Hi all. I intend to build a pre 65 trials bike using a 1959 Francis Barnett frame I have the original wheels and was going to use the original hubs but they are iron (heavy) and a bit bit clapped generally. Does anyone know where I can some small diameter alloy full width hubs? I saw some on a Cotton ( I think ) on this forum and they were lovely. I have been Googling for hours now and just keep going round in circles with no result. Any help would be appreciated.

You could start at a wheel builders for suggestions. Have you checked the acceptability of alloy hubs for a pre 65 machine. Some FB’s and James to name a few used smallish hubs not always alloy which might be less costly if you can track some down. You’ll also want the correct width etc for you forks and swing arm, mostly sorted with the correct selection of spacers. Oh and brakes that work not just look authentic. Try Gerry Minshall who you will find easily on Google.

Edited by section swept

Thank you for your input. Funnily enough I got curious about my own hubs after posting and gave them the magnet test. It turns out that the centre parts ARE alloy, it`s just the spoke flange and brake parts that are steel. Easiest thing for me to do is clean up and paint what I have then get the appropriate rims put on.