Test rode a 125ST-R...

snappster

Hi, I just did a weekend with Ryan Young and rode his 125ST-R on some sections we had trained on earlier in the day. He also had a ST250 and 300 I did not try out.

So I have about 9 months in trials experience on a 2006 Scorpa SY175F that runs well, but the 125 felt stronger and snappier and I loved it. Ryan suggested a 250 as my next bike, he says they are easier to ride, and I am gonna believe him. Any thoughts on the switch from the SY to a 250ST, or Factory. The price difference between the two is small I think; the Factory makes sense. I had considered myself a 4T guy but now that I have tasted the 2T goodness I am converted. Now to convince the wife to let me have another 8 grand having recently bought a new Triumph Speed Twin. 

I'm in the minority, but I vote 125... especially if you liked it. I'm on my third 125 ('18 Scorpa Factory) and haven't felt a real need to go up in size. It takes a little more technique especially on big hills and larger obstacles, but the dividend for the novice, is a bike that feels slightly lighter and has a slower ground speed. If you feel that you've outgrown it in a year, the market for used 125's is always good.

I've ridden Factory Model Sherco/Scorpa 250's, there is definitely a big difference on the motor between the Sherco/Scorpa Factory and the Sherco ST/Scorpa SC. The Factory is quite a bit more snappy and less novice friendly.  I owned a '17 Scorpa 125SC before the '18 Scorpa 125 Factory, and the difference in the motor is much less noticeable, but still there.  If you go Sherco 250, I'd go for the ST.