GasGas Txt 280 cylinder head orings blown

gasgasgasgas

Hi there, Following catastrophic blowout of cylinder head O rings on my 2001 TXT 280, I have replaced O rings, drained and flushed what was left of coolant, stripped and cleaned carb and air filter and reassembled with O rings correctly seated and correct torque settings. Now it doesn't start. On first kick it tries for a couple of fires then dies, then nothing. Spark plug and piston head covered in chocolate-milk-y gunk. To me that suggests the head is warped as fuel is getting through and mixing with coolant. I am happy to have a go flattening the cylinder head myself before splashing out on a new one but before I do, anyone have any ideas of anything else I need to check? Thanks in advance

Is fan / thermostat working ??.  Fan rectifier unit a common failure, Bad earth causes it to fail / melt , & prevents fan working, with subsequent boiling over. You might have an oil / water emulsion in the crankcase, & oil seals may have suffered.  

Well documented in forums section. Been there before unfortunately. Not that unusual for a GG of this age. 

Milky Oil :  Drain down, take off the outer case & clean with fuel as best you can.  Re instate & carry out a flushing run for a few minutes with  ATF or thin Trans oil, then drain. replenish.. Generally comes good fairly quickly. You might get lucky with new head O rings, but another very common cause of water in the trans is water pump lipseal failure (Seal wears out & also makes a groove in the impeller shaft. You need to change both)

Much obliged, fan is working. It is definitely a case of oil and water mixing where they shouldn't, cylinder head being warped is my best guess. If there is any water in the crankcase is there a way of removing without taking the crankcase cover off?

Edited by gasgasgasgas

14 minutes ago, gasgasgasgas said:

Much obliged, fan is working. It is definitely a case of oil and water mixing where they shouldn't, cylinder head being warped is my best guess. If there is any water in the crankcase is there a way of removing without taking the crankcase cover off?

Remove fuel tank and spark plug, turn bike upside down and operate kick start to pump water through. You might loose a little gearbox oil while doing this so check when upright.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...