TR 80 v TR77

Rumpith

I'm thinking of having a go at trilas riding and as I own a couple of Ossa Road and Road Race bikes its got to be an OSSA for the dirt.

After 35 years of riding on the road a recent go at a twin shock trial on an Yam TY 175 was a batism of fire for me, with everything I though I knew about riding a bike being turned on its head. 

I'm thinking of getting either a TR77 or a TY 80. Reeding different comments on the web there seems to be some issues with the handling of the TY 80 but no one seems to say exactly what or why it has issues. I know Mick Andrews didn't like it but again I don't know why.  

Can anyone shed some light on the what were the 'issues' with the TY 80?

Also other than power - is the 350 any better than the 250?

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Rumpith said:

I'm thinking of having a go at trilas riding and as I own a couple of Ossa Road and Road Race bikes its got to be an OSSA for the dirt.

After 35 years of riding on the road a recent go at a twin shock trial on an Yam TY 175 was a batism of fire for me, with everything I though I knew about riding a bike being turned on its head. 

I'm thinking of getting either a TR77 or a TY 80. Reeding different comments on the web there seems to be some issues with the handling of the TY 80 but no one seems to say exactly what or why it has issues. I know Mick Andrews didn't like it but again I don't know why.  

Can anyone shed some light on the what were the 'issues' with the TY 80?

Also other than power - is the 350 any better than the 250?

Thanks in advance.

I have a OSSA TR77 Verde which I believe was the last version of what was previously the MAR and to me it works very well. As I understand it the TR80 Gripper engine was derived from the moto-cross power unit so similar yet different to the 77 but either would be a great ride in classic trials. As for capacity just buy whatever seems right condition wise. The 77 used the earlier MAR wheels whereas the 80 was fitted with OSSA conical hubs. With good linings from either Villiers Services or Saftek the 77 brakes work well but as with all MAR models check for a bent rear wheel spindle. Steve Sell makes a replacement from modern materials as well as a sprocket carrier for Beta type flat sprockets instead of the elegant but trouble prone original dished version. 

One for sale here, https://www.inmotiontrials.com/bikes/ossa-m-a-r-250-cc-1975/ I have no connection or interest in the bike its owner or InMotion but rebuilt by Steve Sell means it will be a good one.

Edited by trialsrfun

1 hour ago, Rumpith said:

Thanks for the replies. Paul thanks for the offer, I'm tied up for the next few weekends I will have to take you up on your offer in a few weeks time.

No worries there are a few of us from the wirral that ride regularly with aqueduct just keep an eye on there website for dates