Spanish rumours

hgas

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

So what did you think of his performance in 2007, what could he have done differently?

Should he have gone to top route in 08?

I cant really remember back that far for details, but when youre that close to winning, ie two consecutive 2nds, i just think you have to think bigger at that age and do what's best for rider development.

2007 he was second to MB, don't think he could have done much different. There wasn't that much to choose between them at times yet MB was capable of moving up, but AW stayed down. 2008 i think 50/50, he was capable of moving up but ok, stay down and win it and then move up. 2008 came and he finished second to Gubian i think. Gubian then moved up, who AW had beaten in 2007 and yet AW still stayed down while beyond doubt capable of moving up. 2009 i think he should have cut his losses and forgot about trial2. When 2010 came, there were then 2 riders that he had previously beaten between him and MB

I can kind of see TM doing the same. He may try to stay down for 2020 and then someone like gelabert might win it.

But hey, im on the outside looking in, i don't know 10% of what was or is going on in both riders cases

Edited by faussy

On 10/28/2019 at 8:59 PM, faussy said:

I cant really remember back that far for details, but when youre that close to winning, ie two consecutive 2nds, i just think you have to think bigger at that age and do what's best for rider development.

2007 he was second to MB, don't think he could have done much different. There wasn't that much to choose between them at times yet MB was capable of moving up, but AW stayed down. 2008 i think 50/50, he was capable of moving up but ok, stay down and win it and then move up. 2008 came and he finished second to Gubian i think. Gubian then moved up, who AW had beaten in 2007 and yet AW still stayed down while beyond doubt capable of moving up. 2009 i think he should have cut his losses and forgot about trial2. When 2010 came, there were then 2 riders that he had previously beaten between him and MB

I can kind of see TM doing the same. He may try to stay down for 2020 and then someone like gelabert might win it.

But hey, im on the outside looking in, i don't know 10% of what was or is going on in both riders cases

Its a shame you cant remember because the first second in 2007 was probaly the best performance ever by anyone at junior or T2 level, fyi.

2008 was possibly a mistake, with 20/20 hindsight, a poor choice to change machines at a crucial time.

My point is its easy (as you have) to look at results and think you know.

Had he been spanish like pol tarres or laia sanz and had the rules changed to suit who knows what might have been, or not.

38 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

Its a shame you cant remember because the first second in 2007 was probaly the best performance ever by anyone at junior or T2 level, fyi.

Probably not as good as Bou's... Oh yeah thats right, he never even bothered riding trial2, straight to GP!!!!!

• Haha 1

Correct me if I’m wrong but wiggy rode the trial 2 class in 2007 on that screaming 125 he won the championship with the year before ? If he did finish second that year then that was one hell of a result , I’m assuming he was too young to ride a full cc bike that year? 

correct, Alexz rode what is now Trial 2 in 2007 on a 125.

I went to the last round in Andorra that year, very steep sections, the altitude effects the engine performance and Alexz is a big unit compared to a lot of his competitors. So on that day , in that class, that must have been the worst combination of bike and rider, I think he was second on the day. Not sure who won but I was very impressed with Alexz. Shirty was minding and just kept telling him to rev it harder, I think that was the first time I met Dabster...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, faussy said:

Probably not as good as Bou's... Oh yeah thats right, he never even bothered riding trial2, straight to GP!!!!!

Did they have trial 2 then ? I think junior championship as it was initially called started in 2003 / 2004? Bou was established in top class in 2005 but not sure how many years he had been riding world championship then. More classes has helped with the number of entries but had a negative effect on rider progression ?

Riders would be on the most powerful bike sooner when it was one route. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

Did they have trial 2 then ? I think junior championship as it was initially called started in 2003 / 2004? Bou was established in top class in 2005 but not sure how many years he had been riding world championship then. More classes has helped with the number of entries but had a negative effect on rider progression ?

Riders would be on the most powerful bike sooner when it was one route. 

First year of trial2/junior was 2000, Raga won it. Bou rode the european youth class 2001, 2002, then went straight to GP for 03 at 16 years of age, rode the whole season (bar japan i think) and had a few top 10s 

Edited by faussy

5 hours ago, nickday1 said:

So both Gelabert brothers have announced the end of their association with Sherco Motorcycles...

where now?

Gas Gas? 

Beta for Miguel, Casales didn't gel with the Beta last time but they don't have a top level Spanish rider ? Beta have Toby Martin in trial 2 so maybe the younger brother is going elsewhere? Not seen anything on Kadlec quitting yet?

That’s assuming dibs has definitely chucked the towel in and won’t ride gp? I think miquel is still a very promising rider it will be interesting to see how he does on a different bike , aniol to trs i believe 

On 10/30/2019 at 7:59 AM, faussy said:

Rules were different then, and no one will ever be as good as bou, he was is exceptional.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:24 AM, faussy said:

First year of trial2/junior was 2000, Raga won it. Bou rode the european youth class 2001, 2002, then went straight to GP for 03 at 16 years of age, rode the whole season (bar japan i think) and had a few top 10s 

He could ride a 300 at 16 and had a different choice, back then there was little or no prestige in the Junior world championship, it wast an u23 championship till a few years later, and i think it wasnt even a world championship when Bou elected to by pass, so not such a tricky decision.

Different times as sections in 03 (16 years ago) were alot easier on the top route.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 2