x11

the dabster

The bead of a tyre can't be stretched - it can be permanently distorted if brutality is employed. So the answer to your question is, do the job properly and it can be done as often as you like.  I always turn them but find the trailing edge never heals and stays rounded ? so turn once only, though I will admit to more than once on occasion. I did once use a Stanley knife to recut (ok, I know that's agin the rules) a crossply but it wasn't worth the effort.

• Like 3

If you have your own compressor then swap tyres to suit your next event or practice session.

keep old tyre for practice and good tyre for championships etc. Takes 5 mins to swap once you get the hang of it and saves pounds  in the long run 

• Like 4

Do it carefully without damaging the rubber or overstretching the inner enforcement, also if you have a tire workshop near by let it be done on a tire machine then as often as you want.

In my experience it does not change much, I did this a couple times back in the days, but experienced not much noticeable change in grip. I do believe that the most important knobbys are the ones at the sides which then dig in when they get load also the middle knobbies which do the same.and for this one sharp edge is better then two a bit rounded.

Thus I don't change anymore, I also have my bikes road registered thus they get checked periodically  and you don't  want to show up for checking road worthiness having tires mounted against the arrow of direction very bad idea ..

Edited by pschrauber
spelling
  • Like 3

thanks for the replies, the reason I ask is I have both my own compressor and tyre changer.  I find one trial hardly marks a new x11 so I have used the same tyre for several events always turning to the best edge and then refitting practice tyres in the same manner. I was interested to hear peoples experiences of pulling tyres off and refitting.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:22 AM, jimmyl said:

If you have your own compressor then swap tyres to suit your next event or practice session.

keep old tyre for practice and good tyre for championships etc. Takes 5 mins to swap once you get the hang of it and saves pounds  in the long run 

Make sure you get a beader and its always easy to change, tyre soap, keep old ones for practice saves money!!

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 2

I find with a mont wheel, X light and Tyre soap they pop on without a beader - even when new. But I have been doing it a fair while and probably got the knack. A beader is a 100% option

Always take the valve out to inflate

• Like 1

Ive had tyres refitted over 10 times and never had an issue. Never had one leak air or not seal.Only thing i notice is as the tyre ages i need levers to put it on (i can usually pop a new tyre on just with my hands) and an oldish tyre needs a few extra psi to put on the rim. Turds can be a bit of a nuisance, ive had the odd one leak while popping on at around 40psi but usually when let back down to 4, they reseal. 

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, jimmyl said:

I find with a mont wheel, X light and Tyre soap they pop on without a beader - even when new. But I have been doing it a fair while and probably got the knack. A beader is a 100% option

Always take the valve out to inflate

its when new you really need a beader.