Before and After

WJSmith

4 hours ago, johnjsy said:

Yes, 45 years old, but still look the business. Really nice, what’s next ?  I have 5 various models, just so satisfying to own and work them. 

Thank you. Got a few things to be getting in with. Either my 360 frontera or the Ossa explorer behind the sherpa.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, Jcarteradams said:

Looks great!

Is this a 183 1976 350cc Sherpa?  

Looks very similar to mine. Well, mine doesn’t look as shiny but I’m sure they’re the same model. 

Great work, does she run ok? 

Best 

James 

This a model 159. Thanks for the nice comment ?

When i purchased the bike it had clearly had some money spent on it in the right areas but had been assembled quite poorly. I got it in a deal with another bike and it was running very poor. After taking it apart and doing some homework i realised it had a worn out carburettor slide (a well known bing issue)

I sourced a new slide from bultaco uk and adjusted carb accordingly and now shes spot on, very happy with it. 

Are you having issues with yours?

On 10/28/2019 at 9:09 PM, WJSmith said:

This a model 159. Thanks for the nice comment ?

When i purchased the bike it had clearly had some money spent on it in the right areas but had been assembled quite poorly. I got it in a deal with another bike and it was running very poor. After taking it apart and doing some homework i realised it had a worn out carburettor slide (a well known bing issue)

I sourced a new slide from bultaco uk and adjusted carb accordingly and now shes spot on, very happy with it. 

Are you having issues with yours?

Oh really - that’s interesting to know.

I believe mine uses the Amal MK11 carb, which needed a really good clean out. 

I was having some teething problems but now she’s running very well and just great fun to ride. Only thing at the moment is that after around 10 minutes of riding it smokes and burns the crud in the silencer exhaust, and it gets ridiculously hot, and also noticed some embers flying out. So turned it off and let it cool down and the smoke subsided. I guess it needs a good clean out. I hear caustic soda is good to get rid of the built up carbon in there?

But over time I would like to get it up to the standard of yours - fully refurbish it, but for now I will keep it as it is and enjoy it without worrying about the paint work! 

Nice work, on to the next! 

2 hours ago, Jcarteradams said:

I was having some teething problems but now she’s running very well and just great fun to ride. Only thing at the moment is that after around 10 minutes of riding it smokes and burns the crud in the silencer exhaust, and it gets ridiculously hot, and also noticed some embers flying out. So turned it off and let it cool down and the smoke subsided. I guess it needs a good clean out. I hear caustic soda is good to get rid of the built up carbon in 

Your exhaust shouldn't get that hot so quickly, the fact if does suggests the carburation is very lean, or timing is way out, or a combination. What does the plug look like ?

Clubfoot (rear box assembly) will need to be cut open and repacked, caustic soda will not clear the packing very well. Not sure but one specific type of Bultaco rear box is quite restrictive and reduces power. Check out more info on the Bultaco site of Trials Central.

Banana is noisy compared to the clubfoot.  The clubfoot is fine and is not restrictive.  Banana maybe a bit restrictive for a later (M159 on) 325 which have a bigger exhaust than the earlier 325. You can modify the clubfoot by cutting the back off the rear box part, cutting all of the baffles out and replacing them with a perforated tube and packing and converting the dual outlet to a single. It's debatable whether you notice any difference other than a deeper tone and maybe a few more revs on the very top end at wide open throttle. The only packing in the clubfoot is in the section that runs from its inlet to just in front of the rear shock.     

If the bike runs roughly off idle and has a tinny / hollow sound It's probably worth cutting open, cleaning and repacking both middle box and rear silencer front section. Depending on how the bike has run in the past, the middle silencer can either be dry inside and have blown out all of its packing, or be totally gummed up from poor 2 stroke oil and/or wrong mix. Either way the only fix is cut open, clean, ensuring all of the holes are free in the perforated tube and repack,

16 hours ago, Jcarteradams said:

Oh really - that’s interesting to know.

I believe mine uses the Amal MK11 carb, which needed a really good clean out. 

I was having some teething problems but now she’s running very well and just great fun to ride. Only thing at the moment is that after around 10 minutes of riding it smokes and burns the crud in the silencer exhaust, and it gets ridiculously hot, and also noticed some embers flying out. So turned it off and let it cool down and the smoke subsided. I guess it needs a good clean out. I hear caustic soda is good to get rid of the built up carbon in there?

But over time I would like to get it up to the standard of yours - fully refurbish it, but for now I will keep it as it is and enjoy it without worrying about the paint work! 

Nice work, on to the next! 

If yours is an M183 it had a 28mm Bing as standard, the 250 used a MK2 Amal. That's not to say the Amal won't work but as already mentioned, it could be running weak and causing the hot running

Yes, the M159, 183 and 191 are pretty well the same bike

10 hours ago, section swept said:

Clubfoot (rear box assembly) will need to be cut open and repacked, caustic soda will not clear the packing very well. Not sure but one specific type of Bultaco rear box is quite restrictive and reduces power. Check out more info on the Bultaco site of Trials Central.

That was the original triangle fitted to the early 5 speeders up to  the introduction of the banana.  The triangle you buy now as a reproduction seems fine as I have one on my M49 with no restriction issues. I guess it might be empty but it works well enough to mute the sound as the single silencer set up is too noisy

• Like 1